Chapter 25: Sidekick

Tatum

''What was that about?'' My eyes flickered from where my mate once sat to the rugged, tired looking male trudging into the water not far from my left.

''Who even knows?'' His eyes narrowed before he dropped himself to a ledge.

The way his eyebrows knotted and his arms were tense as they rested to either side of him on a higher ledge, I could tell something was eating at him.

I felt like growling in annoyance at my need to help my pack mate, especially since not too long ago this asshole was belittling my mate.

''You smell like sex.'' I scrunched up my nose as his scent wafted towards me when he moved to readjust himself.

He let out an unamused laugh before staring at me and gesturing with his hand that he had spent the night with no one but his right hand.

''Your Princess smells the same as me. Is there trouble in paradise already? You can't keep up with an omega so he has to find someone else?'' He smirks as I sent a glare his way.

''Careful now. He'll be Luna before you know it.'' Alic stepped into the room smacking Dustin over the head.

''If Tate has the balls to challenge his father that is.''

''Are you thinking about his balls?'' The bigger man jeered at a now angry, red-faced Dustin.

''Fuck off old man I have higher standards.''

''Whatever you say Dusty.'' He cooed and patted the younger boys head earning a chuckle from me.

Dustin growled Alic's way but he ignored it as he turned to me, his eyes turning cold which meant I had work to do. He didn't even need to tell me. I had seen the look a thousand times before throughout my childhood.

I pulled myself from the water not caring that I was naked around my pack mates. Everyone had seen everyone naked here, we weren't shy. My poor mate would never get used to it and for that I was glad. I would not share his precious body with anyone, not even a glance at it.

I swiftly made it back to my room, Alic following behind me until he disappeared somewhere along the way. My clothes were in a neat pile along a stone bench in the far right corner of my room, compliments of my mate who insisted a box was definitely not sufficient enough for clothes storage.

I quickly grabbed whatever clothes were easiest to grab which happened to be a pair of black chino shorts and a faded grey plain jumper quickly pulling them on along with some black heavy boots which completed my look. Boots were always a good idea in my line of work.

Making my way out of my room, Alic was still nowhere in sight so I figured he was ditching interrogation today. It wasn't the most glamourous job in the pack but it was a job that needed doing and it happened to be a job I excelled in and it was always a plus on the Alpha resume.

I knew Jaidan would be safe as long as Charlie didn't get him into troublesome situations but I knew my uncle wouldn't be too far behind them. He seemed fixed on embarrassing my mate at every turn but I knew he meant well and they seemed to get on well with each other.

My order took me on a decent walk from my room to a corridor behind the throne room at the front of the cave, a left around our dining hall and kitchen, to a right past some more bedrooms and finally another right.

Suddenly the faint smell of rogue suffocated the air and my face turned stone cold as my feet carried me down the long hallway of stairs that got darker and darker the further you delved into the depths of the cave until it came out to a room on the right with an old wooden chair holding a tied and bloodied, dirty old man, his grey hair matted around his face and fell in knotted locks over his lifeless, dull brown eyes.