Chapter 22: Home Sweet Home

''Charlie, that is what you called me.''

''Charlie?''

''Who's Charlie?'' I tilted my head up to Tatum who was standing behind me, my eyebrows scrunching up in confusion.

''My mouse...well he was my mouse.''

''A mouse? But he's a pussy.'' Dustin teased as he licked his scratch wounds closed.

''More pussy than you've ever gotten.'' Charlie spat, looking the clearly larger man up and down in disgust.

Dustin growled angrily, his eyes beginning to shine as his wolf started to take over to no doubt show the younger man a lesson about respect. A lesson they both could learn as the Alpha walked out into the commotion and shot them both a petrifying glare immediately silencing them, Dustin standing quietly while Charlie raised his nose and turned his head.

''I suppose he's the one that's been running my borders?'' He earned a nod from Tatum. ''What're you doing on my lands.'' His eyes turned to Charlie, not even attempting to soften his gaze.

''I'm here for him.'' His thin fingers pointed directly at me.

I could feel Tatum's chest vibrating on my back as a small growl rolled its way to the surface.

''Cool it big guy. I'm not taking you from him, he's simply in my care.'' He rolled his black eyes and smiled at me.

''What do you mean?'' I finally spoke up curiosity burning inside me.

''I'm a shifter. I can turn into anything I please, whenever I please. I'm not limited to one form. Hence why you knew me as a mouse and why I could scratch the shit out of big and dumb over here.'' His thumb jutted out at Dustin but before he could retort Charlie spoke over him.

''I left my home a few months before I met you, took an interest in you and decided then and there I'd keep a keen eye out for you, abandoning my families wishes and watching you, every night.'' He sent a teasing wink to Tatum, my mate's patience almost spent.

''But why would you do that? And why did you never tell me before?''

''I never planned to tell you. I planned to stay a mouse with you forever, that is until a new pack moved in and started running your borders, skulking in the shadows, sniffing where they don't belong. Trying to find what will never belong to them.'' He growled at Dustin, recognition flashing through his brown eyes before confusion.

''Why couldn't we find you?'' This time Tatum stole the conversation away, the Alpha's head swiveling to look at his son.

''Shifter trick. We can mask our scent or alter it to a certain degree. But enough about me. I asked you a question Jai.'' When I didn't reply, my eyes wide open in shock at everyone staring at me expectantly, he pointed to my red eyes then his.

''Oh, no. They haven't been treating me bad, quite the contrary.'' My voice fell when I looked up at Tatum's face, his arms tightened around my waist before a soft kiss fell on top of my head.

''Give him the room next to yours it's empty isn't it?'' Alpha Lance's gruff voice sounded bored as he started to turn away.

''He's staying?'' Dustin groaned.

''He's a shifter, they always do as they please. It's easier to accommodate him, shifters are an endangered and prized species. There aren't many of his kind left.'' He continued to walk away, Charlie's face falling at his words before he linked arms with me and gave a quick tug to pull me free of Tatum's arms.

''Now, darling will you show me to my room?'' A smile bright enough to compete with a lighthouse shone upon his face until Dustin grumbled about his room being across from a shedding cat and for him to not get his fur all over the den.

''It's this way.'' Tatum grabbed my free hand and led us back towards our room, Aunt Petricia and Uncle Rick having their hands full with the pack children asking them all about our 'modern age pack'.

''You got lucky I guess. He seems nice enough.'' Charlie whispered in my ear, calculating Tatum's back as we followed him like a chain.

I was still having trouble accustoming myself to the fact that my pet mouse was an actual person not just a mouse that had found me in the dead of night and wanted me for my cheese.

''I am and he is.''

''Why were you crying then.'' Tatum's grip on my hand tightened at his words, his muscles on his back tensing.

''I don't want to talk about it.'' My voice was small but I wouldn't cry again, I didn't have any tears left to shed.

''I understand.'' He nodded his head as we rounded into his room.

It looked similar to Tatum's though not nearly as large. It had an area of furs against the left back wall which I assumed was his bed and a small stool made of wood pushed neatly under a rock formation that looked to be a desk or bench.

''Home sweet home.'' Charlie breathed in the cave air, a shiver rushing down his spine at the chill biting us.

''You better go rest that.'' Tatum pointed to Charlie's ankle which looked to have dried blood cracking around it and a nasty bruise beginning to swell.

''Do you need a hand?''

''I'll manage. Thank you.'' Charlie kissed me on the cheek and gave a quick wave before ducking into his room.

Not a second passed before Tatum wiped my cheek on his long sleeve and shook his head. I couldn't help it as a small laugh bubbled its way up.

''What's so funny?'' He looked genuinely curious.

I shook my head and turned into our room stifling my laugh as I quickly got situated under the many furs we had in the bed.

A/N:

Okay so the last 2 chapters have just been pretty much information thrown at you guys, and getting to know our not so mysterious not so strange stranger Charlie. I might reward you all with a sexy time warning in the next chapter ;D