Chapter 23

When I eventually woke up, I found Marcus sitting next to me. I felt refreshed and energized, I sat up and turned to face him, "What happened with the fighting?"

"They have agreed to halt the fighting until your better, the pack is still loyal to you and do not want to risk making your condition worse, as soon as you step outside the fighting will continue." He told me.

"And where are they now?" I asked with a shaky voice.

He gestured  to the window, before turning to help  me up. I narrowed my eyes at that, I was already feeling a tonne better, I was practically back to my usual state.

I walked to the window, peaking out of the curtains, I noticed the massive crowd of shifted wolves sitting patiently, staring towards the door of the pack house.

I cringed back, turning and slowly beginning to pace about in thought. "What happened with Adam?"

"We put him in a room like yours... I suppose he can be assumed dead now." He told me. "And Rose, I truly am sorry, I had no idea what that would do to you, I don't know what happened..." I could see the guilt in his every feature, in the way that he was religiously reaching up and shoving his hair back with his hand.

I frowned at him, I was well aware of the fact that he had almost killed me, however I also knew that it was a complete accident. It was impossible for a wolf to purposefully kill their mate, they couldn't even ask another to do it.

The guilt in his expression was clear.

"Marcus it's okay," I whispered, "I know it wasn't your fault."

Besides, we had other things that we needed to focus on. His mistake was just that, a mistake. The real threat was outside.

"I'm ready." I whispered, "I'm ready to go out there."

Marcus nodded before he said, "I don't want you to fight."

I swiftly opened my mouth, ready to object but he cut me off, "I don't want you to, but I won't stop you."

His words took me by surprise, "You're letting me fight?"

He nodded meekly, "I'm not stupid, I know what an advantage it is to us that the three of you can influence elements, if it means the difference between you dying or living, then it's a price that I am willing to pay."

I lifted my hand to his cheek, gently stroking it, "Thank you."

"We don't have many defences against that pack, if what you say is true, then they all have their own talents."

"Marcus I don't want them to die." I whispered, "They're innocent people, they don't mean us harm."

He nodded, "I know that, but they pose a  threat that could mean your death."

I brought my head into the nook of his shoulder, "I wish they didn't."

He brought his own head down, gently kissing me, almost making me forget.

"Rose I want you to know something, just in case something happens to me-" He began.

"Don't say that!" I cried out, grasping his hands, "Don't say that."

"Please just listen." He began, "Before I met you, I thought I had a good life, but it wasn't until I saw the stunning beauty that is you that I truly realised how lucky I am. You shot through my life like a firework and I can never thank you enough for it. No matter what happens today, just know that you are my life, and you will always have my heart. I love you."

I felt a tear drip down my face, could this really be goodbye? "Marcus I love you too. I know I might not seem like the best mate, running away and getting into all this trouble, but you should know that I did it for you, everything I did was for you. You're the only one that has ever held my heart, and I'd really like for you to keep it safe for me, if anything happens to me... you have to prioritise the babies, try to save them, promise me that you will."