Chapter 27

I was practically crying with relief.

To have Marcus back here with me, having felt the dramatic effects of his death, it was truly amazing.

Words could not describe how I felt in this instant, I couldn't stop myself from staring at him, constantly having a need to be touching him somehow, whether that meant just holding his hand or just a simple hand on his arm, keeping constant contact, partly to reassure my wolf, and partly because I still couldn't quite believe that he was still here. Back with me again.

I didn't understand quite what had happened, but I was too exhilarated to see him up and breathing again that I couldn't lose focus for a moment to think about what it was that had saved him.

At the moment, I was clinging to his arm, we were stood up, him having already regained his health completely, but I wasn't exactly willing to risk it.

Whatever happened had completely healed him, to the point where he had immediately stood up and was speaking to pack members.

I had my mate back, I wasn't willing to let him go just yet.

He turned to face me, his head gently resting on top of mine, "I'm okay now, you know." He laughed.

I laughed with him, but continued to hold onto his arm like my life depended on it, and maybe it did. "I just can't believe it."

We smiled together then, but before I could really let the moment sink in, my gaze turned to face Sam and Dave.

They both held conflicting emotions on their faces, on the one hand, I could easily tell that they were happy for me, for both of us, but I could also see jealousy. My mate had been brought back, but theirs never could be.

I held pity for them, and gently leaned up to peck Marcus on the cheek before I mumbled something about talking to Sam and Dave.

I meandered away, already feeling his absence, and having to look back just to check he was still there.

When I turned to see him, he was already staring after me, smiling encouragingly.

I guess he knew what I was doing, damn mate bond.

As soon as I came near them they offered their congratulations on what I had done for Marcus.

"It wasn't me," I shook my head, "Congratulate the babies." I smiled.

It was incredible to think the powers that they already possessed, earthquakes and healing, would they get my fire too?

They smiled, but there was still a hint of jealousy.

"I- I understand that this must be hard for you." I began, but was interrupted.

"No please, we don't want to ruin this for you both." Dave spoke his words softly.

I shook my head, "You haven't. I wanted to ask you both if you would tell me about... your mates?"

They seemed a little surprised but a small smile graced Sam's face.

"I only knew my mate for 4 days before it happened, he was from Adam's pack, actually. He was so sweet, a bit of a nature fanatic actually," She laughed, before a sad smile took over her face in his memory, "Daniel was a good mate."

I swear I saw a tear drop down her face, but it was gone before I could fully register it.

I then turned to Dave, who was staring at Sam, perplexed. He turned to face me before he began talking, "My mate was called Ella. I met her during an attack on the natura pack, I instantly recognised her... and apparently so did one of my pack members, when they saw me with her, he leaped up and killed her while she was distracted."