Chapter 3

Devon and Seraphine, the water to her flame, the fire to his lake.

The two elementals, fire and water, each had a mate that they were deeply devoted to, but just like yin and yang, the two opposites were drawn to each other.

While leading the packs, the two fell in love, defying all of wolf logic. At the time you lived for your mate, to love another would be unbearable. Yet somehow they managed to love another, while their mates were still in the picture.

Leaving their grieving mates behind, the two led their packs, equal, until the divide.

It was said that their souls were entwined together for eternity, hence why they fell in love while they had mates. When the pack was divided it broke them.

Their elements were opposites, yet neaturalised the other, the two packs were unable to fight. Fire evaporated water, water extinguished flames.

At the end of the war, the two died together, their hands entwined, binding their souls forever.

It was said that history would repeat itself.

I could understand how Marcus would be upset with a mate that was bound to another.

But what could I possibly do?

If history is to repeat itself, who am I to stand in the way?

I know that I will fight to keep Marcus, but if my soul was entwined with another...

Who knows if I'll have the will to stop myself.

"Is there not a... way out? For Marcus?" I asked.

"I'm afraid I don't know," My grandfather replied, "Poor boy, he was always so good, he spent years waiting for a mate. Only for her to be entwined with another."

My eyes widened, he noticed my shock and quickly ammended himself "I mean.... supposedly."

I stood up from the bench we had been seated on, off to find Marcus.

It seemed Marcus had only been a short distance away, so he could keep a protective eye on me while I spoke to my grandfather.

"Marcus." I whispered, causing him to stare me in the eye, "It's just a story."

"No it's not." He grumbled, looking towards the ground.

"I haven't even met him, don't you think if our souls were 'entwined' I would have been mates with him?"

"The elementals can't be mates with each other because they can't carry each others offspring." He muttered, "But you can carry mine and that's what matters." He said with authority.

"I doubt it." I said quietly.

"What?" He said, having heard me. Stupid wolf hearing.

I said nothing for a while, I noticed him staring at me waiting for a reply. "Just a story." I muttered before I began to walk.

"Well I don't care if it's a story or not I will keep you far away from him!" He growled, grabbing my wrist, stopping me from walking off.

If it wasn't because of the reflexes I had taught myself to have, Marcus wouldn't have felt a searing pain through his wrist, causing him to collapse to the ground in pain.

"Marcus!" I yelled, dropping to my knees, horrified at myself. I inspected his hand, only to find it blackened with the burn from my touch.

I began to hyperventilate, how could I let this happen? I hurt him, I did the thing I promised myself I wouldn't do!