Chapter 2

The place was barren, devoid of... well anything

The tree's were burnt to a crisp, the grass was now dry and lifeless. 

The only thing moving was the dust that was being swept around by the wind that we were no longer protected from since the tree's were significantly shorter without their leaves.

Marcus held me protectively behind him, it seemed to have skipped his mind that I had caused this. I could more than take care of myself. 

This had all happened because of me.

I had a horrible feeling that this time, I had destroyed an entire pack, not just a family.

 I looked around carefully, all of my senses on high alert.

"R-Rose?" A voice stuttered behind us, disbelief etched into the name.

I whipped around, my mouth falling open slightly at the sight before me.

My grandfather was kneeling on the dirty ground before me, shaking as he stared up at me with hope.

I said nothing as I looked down at him, frowning, did he recognise me?

"Is it really you?" he asked. His body was middle aged, it should still be in peak condition yet his physique had clearly fallen, his words were laced with hope. His hair was a dark chestnut brown, yet it was greasy, his pale skin has a sweaty sheen to it, making him look ill.

I kneeled infront of him, ignoring the wind tangling my hair up, "Yeah." I whispered, "It's me." smiling when a grin bloomed across his face, I hadn't seen the man in years yet his smile never failed to make me happy.

"And... the others? Alive too?" He pleaded, his hands going together like he was praying.

I couldn't meet him in the eye, shaking my head I said quietly "Just me."

"Just you..." he whispered, before a grin stretched across his tired face. "I missed you so much."

"I can tell." I mumbled, glancing at his weakened body, he had been drowning in grief for far too long.

He just gave me a smile that told me all I needed to know, he wasn't going to be so sad anymore.

"Rose...?" A voice called out as a warm hand that sent sparks across my skin was placed on my shoulder.

I jumped away, flinching at his warming touch, I didn't miss the hurt in his perfect crystal blue eyes.

"We all knew you two would be mates," my grandfather chuckled from the ground. I gave him a tight lipped smile, willing him to be quiet. My eyes pleading with him, but he didn't notice.

"What?" Marcus asked, looking between us cautiously. His eyes lingering on me a few seconds longer than needed.

I let out a deep breath I hadn't realised I had been holding, looking towards my grandfather in panic. 

"The beta and the alpha's children, it was meant to be. Who knew we would be right." He smiled proudly.

Marcus gasped, "Rose?" He said, shock lacing his voice. "You're..." He was frozen in shock. The pieces clicking together in his mind.

My grandfather looked at me in surprise, "He doesn't know..?" shock clearly presented in his tone.

"You didn't tell me?" Marcus managed to get the words out of his lips. The hurt in his voice was clear. 

"Marcus..." I said, reaching my hand out before realising what I was doing and quickly retracting it. 

I watched with regret as he looked down at me hand, thinking hard about something as his eyebrows creased together, his eyes looking towards the floor, he turned before shifting into his dark brown wolf and running into the woods.