Chapter Two "LIAM"

Above Brant Daugherty as Liam.

Liam's P.O.V

I woke up screaming and covered in sweat. The blankets and sheets a twisted mangled mess around my body, a testament to the violence of my thrashing limbs as my nightmares claimed me. But this is nothing new. I have been having nightmares for over ten years. I'm just glad that they no longer happened every night, like the way they used to. And I'm also glad that my room is soundproofed, so no one can hear me.

I sat up slowly in bed, detangling myself from the twisted sheets and got up. I went over to the bay windows and pushed them open, letting in the cool night breeze. This quickly causes the sweat on my heated skin to begin cooling.

I took a deep breath and shuddered as I pushed the last of the nightmares from my mind. When the nightmares first started, it was a nightly occurrence, I would literally wake up the whole entire house with my screams. My dads would all come rushing into my room to calm me down and comfort me.

But I never felt calm or comforted by their actions. I felt weak, helpless and useless. Most significantly I felt worthless and unworthy. I never wanted them to see me like that. Most of all I never wanted to see the look in their eyes. That look of pity!

I hated them for it. I hated them for my own sense of weakness and worthlessness. I hated them for what happened to me and I blamed them. Oh, I know it wasn't their fault. It was my grandpa. He sold us out. He betrayed me and my dad to a madman. But the mind of a traumatized child isn't rational. And so I pushed them away and learned to hide the nightmares. Learned to hide my pain behind a mask of indifference and an I don't care attitude.

None of them really know the true extent of the tortures that I survived. They think they do. But what they know is just a mere simdgen of the actual truth. I suddenly pushed away from the window and headed to my walkin closet. The nightmare isn't receeding as fast as I would like, I need something, something to clear my mind and take the edge off.

Switching on the light I headed to the very back of the clost and pushed the clothes hanging there aside, in order to get to it, my hands are beginning to shake and sweat is starting to reappear on my forehead as the images start to take ahold of me. I sucked in my breath, I felt like I was suffocating. I managed to yank open the door of the safe and reached in for my stash.

I needed it. It was the only thing that could stop the nightmares, push the images away. I have tried everything, but human drugs just doesn't have any effect upon supernatural creatures. Then I heard about a new drug specifically designed for us at this club that I started frequenting when I was just thirteen. I would sneak out of my room at night and go to the club to drink and dance away the night. It was better than going to sleep and waiting for the nightmares to come. My dads didn't approve of me going to the club, but it's not like they can stop me. That's were I got it. From my first hit I was hooked. It kept the nightmares at bay for days, weeks even. I kept going back for more. I didn't know what was in it and I didn't ask. I really didn't care, all I cared about was finally being able to sleep through the night. I can't survive without it now.

There was nothing there. I froze for a moment, before angrily slamming the door closed. I stormed around the closet, pulling clothes off the racks and turning over shoe boxes. My mind is racing, it just can't be finished yet. I needed it, it has to be here. I rip the drawers out and upended them, shaking out the contents. Nothing!

At this realization, my breathing became even more laboured and I started hyperventilating. I was suffocating. I ripped my shirt off and screamed. But the images, the memories continued to plague me. I gripped my hands in my hair hard enough to pull my hair out. I had to get out of here. I pushed myself up and and raced through the closet and into my room. Wihout hesitating I leaped through the open bedroom window. I shifted into my midnight wolf Hades in midair. As my massive paws hit the ground I took off running. Trying to escape and leave the nightmare behind.

But I know that there is no escaping it. No matter how many days, weeks or months that I go without dreaming, suddenly and without warning the nightmares would return. Reminding me that I am nothing. Nothing but a weakling. Reminding me that I'm used and have been used in the worst ways imaginable and there was nothing that I could do about it. His voice would echo through my mind over and over gain to the point that I want to blow my own brains out, just to silence him. Maybe then I will have some peace.

As my massive paws pounded the ground in my blind run to escape from the reality of my life and the images, memories and thoughts plaguing me, I felt him. Somehow he's always with me through the nightmares and the pain. I don't know who he is or where he is, but for all the years that I have been suffering, he's been with me. He's seen, shared and experienced it all in my mind.

At firts I was ashamed for him to see me like that, I never wanted anyone to know all of what really happened to me. Then I was angry, I felt as if he was watching me, judging me and finding me at fault, finding me weak and useless. I don't know at what point his presence became truly comforting, but it did eventually and I soon realized that without him I wouldn't have survivied for this long.

I finally figured out who he was to me on my eigthteenth birthday. My True Mate.

As I opened the connection between us I allowed the peace and comfort that his presence always brings to wash over and through me. My racing thoughts slowly calmed and so did my racing heart.

I hadn't paid any attention to where I was going in my mad dash away from home, but as I calmed down and looked around me I realized that I was almost at the lake. I slowed down and eventually came to a stop at the lake shore. I was exhausted, so I laid down and rested my head on my paws, breathing heavily.

As the moon shone down brightly, it's image reflected off the surface if the lake I closed my eyes and allowed the sense of my mates presence to soothe me. His is the only one that can.