Chapter Thirty-Nine

Liam..........

We all gathered in my fathers' study. As we settled in our chosen spots my dad Cameron looked around the room and frowned. He crossed his arms over his chest and asked, "Where is your sister?"

Cameron glared at all of us, I looked nervously across the room at the triplets. Ryder, Ryker and Rayne studiously avoided meeting my gaze and pretended to be paying attention to Tristan; who was sitting on the floor at their feet lost in his own world. "Just great." I thought to myself. "They're going to leave me to break the news to our parents that Blair had not only found her mate, but he was a Dragon from another time and place and also one of Nicholai's brothers."

I swallowed hard, this was not how I wanted to reveal to Nicholai that his brother was here, the truth about himself and the man that he believed to be his father. I took a deep breath and prepared myself for the inevitable explosion from my parents and possibly from my mate. "She's at the hospital." I said. Before I could continue my explanations my fathers exploded with a flurry of questions and concerns.

"What the hell is she doing at the hospital." Cameron shouted at me.

"Is she hurt, is she aright? Hunter growled.

"What the hell happened while we were gone? This from Rafe, said through gritted teeth.

I held up my hands almost defensively, "She's fine, she's alright." I reassured them all. "She's just watching over her mate." I further blurted out. This of course was not the way that I had intended to impart this news. Stunned silence descended in the room as everyone stared at me completely stupefied.

"What mate?!", my parents growled in unison. I watched in trepidation as all three of my fathers loomed over me with identical menacing expressions that promised dismemberment and mayhem if they did not like whatever I had to say next. I gulped audibly as I tried to gather my thoughts to explain. I took a couple of steps back just in case.

I gave an apologetic look towards Nicholai as I said, "I'm sorry this isn't how I wanted you to find out." I said to Nicholai. He looked at me in with a puzzled expression as I continued. "Blair's mate is Nick's brother Luca, he's the dragon that came through the portal with Blake." If I thought they were upset before, it was nothing compared to the palpable rage that exploded out of them now. Everyone could feel the effects of their combined powers as the very air around us shimmered and vibrated with it.

"Luca. Luca is here?" Nicholai's quiet voice broke through the chaotic silence that descended.

I looked over at him apologetically. "I meant to tell you earlier, I tried to tell you." I said

"Explain! Everything! Now!" These clipped word came Nicholai and I watched as his eyes narrowed into slits and new that he was barely holding his dragon back. I didn't break eye contact with my mate as I opened my mouth and told him everything. In this moment he was all that mattered to me and I needed him to know that. I needed him to know that I was here for him. It was a lot for him to take in, it was a lot for him to process and I was glad that no one interrupted me as I told my mate that he wasn't who he thought he was. That the man that he had called father, the man that had tortured him and made him feel like nothing, like he didn't deserve to exist wasn't his father after all. That the man was in fact his uncle and not the true Dragon Lord.

I watched completely captivated by the myriad emotions and expressions that moved across his features as I told him about Blake's betrayal; the fact that his mother, brothers and sister had shunned him in order to protect him from the wrath of the Dragon Lord. That the man wasn't even the true Dragoon, Nicholai's real father was and that Nicholai himself was the true heir to the Throne of Dragons. Nicholai didn't interrupt me, no one did.

As I finished all heads and eyes turned to Nicholai and the silence was even more deafening than before. You could literally hear the heavy, thunderous heartbeats of us all. Every one was too stunned to react and they just stared. Nicholai stared at me in complete disbelief, his face devoid of all colour. I watched as he started to shake as shock set in. Thankfully I recognized the signs and I was able to moved fast enough to catch him as his body folded in on itself and he crumbled to the floor. I sank down with him, rocking his violently shaking body as he shook his head from side to side, lost in his own mental torments. I looked up and stared helplessly at my parents, my brothers and my uncle. There was nothing that I could say to ease his pain.

Nicolai violently pushed me away from him and stood up, "You're lying, or he is." Nicholai laughed humourlessly. It was brittle and cold and I cringed inside as I viewed the manic look on my mates face.

"You expect me to believe this fanciful tale," Nicholai yelled angrily. "First of all, Blake would never betray me to my father. Never! He loves me!" He said vehemently, his hands clenched into fists at his sides. His knuckles stark white from the tension and rage being held within.

Nicholai's defense of my brother and unwavering belief in Blake's love for him caused something inside of me to explode. A jealous rage that I had been keeping buried in the darkest recesses of my being ever since I came back reared it's head and I could do nothing to control it. It exploded out of me like an atomic bomb bent on destroying everything in it's path.

I moved so fast across the room that it was just a blur of motion. I slammed Nick into the wall and I rage din his face. "I love you! You're my mate! Do you think that I would be telling you any of this if I didn't think, if I didn't believe any of it?!" I vaguely registered my parents instructing my brothers to take Tristan out of the room as Nicholai pushed me off of him and slammed me into the floor.

Nicholai gripped the front of my shirt and growled down into my face. "You would do anything to taint my feeling for Blake. He was there for me when you weren't and you hate that!"

I pushed him off and lunged to my feet, I got up in his face, "You're right! I hate it! It makes me sick to my stomach knowing that you were with my brother! You crawled into his bed the moment that my back was turned and I hate you both for it!"

I should have seen it coming, but I didn't. I was too blinded by my rage and Nicholai's right hook sent me flying and crashing into the book cases. Before I could react in kind a wave of power blasted us both. "Enough!" Cameron yelled, standing between us his arms out stretched. He looked between us both. "This is not helping anyone! Blake incase that you've forgotten your mate is pregnant and you" Cameron turned his glared on Nicholai. "Need to control yourself and also remember that you're carrying your mates' child."

"Now lets all just take a deep breath and calm the fuck down!" Cameron's voice left no room for argument. "You're going to apologize to each other and you're going to mean it. We do not have the time for this crap and hurt feelings. Your anger is aimed at the wrong person."

Nicholai and I nodded warily at each other, but neither of us made the first move to apologize for our out burst. "Do I need to repeat myself?" Cameron growled at us both.

"I'm sorry." Nicholai and I said in unison. We all knew that this wouldn't be the end of the argument, but for now it was enough to appease my father.

"Ok." Cameron said, still glaring at us both. "Now that, that's settled we all need to head to the hospital and talk to this dragon again. That's the only way that we're going to get to the bottom of what's really going on here and get a handle on this."

Cameron looked around the room, meeting everyone's eye. "Agreed?" It wasn't really a question and we all knew better than to disagree with him when he was in this kind of mood.

So we all dutifully nodded our heads and exited the library. Cameron called for the triplets to join us and we all climbed into separate cars. The convoy of cars pulled out of the garage and headed to the hospital in order to get answers. I just hoped that my parents would be able to keep it together when they saw Blair with her mate. If they didn't like or believed whatever he had to say, it was very likely that Blair could lose her mate to their rage.

I hoped that it didn't come to that.