Chapter Thirty "AFTER THE STORM 2"

Liam............

"I can't believe that I almost blew things between us." That was the thought running round and round in my head as I sat across from Nick by the pool.

What happened between us last night was unexpected to say the least. I hadn't expected him to be here, waiting for me. Not after the way I had stormed out earlier. I hadn't expected him to be in heat either. His scent had hit me like a freight train and before I knew it my beast had taken over and I found myself pushed to the back of my mind.

I suspect that his heat may have come on a few days ago and he kept it from me. The fact that he did, proved that he wasn't ready for what happened between us last night. But it did happen and now here we were, sitting in an awkward silence, pretending to eat the food that I had prepared.

After my earlier out burst, I was afraid to say anything that could possibly drive him away, but this silence was getting to me. Besides, after what happened between us last night and this morning, there was no way that I could keep what Blake had done from him. Nick deserved to know the truth, but not only that, he needed to be prepared for what may happen.

My eyes roamed over my mate and I watched as he subconsciously stroked his hand repeatedly over his flat stomach. My eyes narrowed as I wondered if he was in pain, but I shook my head as I dismissed the thought. Stomach ache was not something that we as super naturals got, at least not without just cause. As I continued to watch his movements wondering what could be going on with him, my eyes widened as realization dawned on me. As I opened my mouth to ask the question that I was dreading the answer to, Nick suddenly looked up and said, "Where did you go last night?" panic reflected in his eyes.

I swallowed back my question as my mind raced with the possibilities of what was going on with Nick. If what I suspected was true, then it was even more important for me to tell him about Blake and what he had done. I pulled my thoughts together and concentrated on his question. There would be time enough to discover the truth. "I went to the Wolf's Den. It's a club I used to frequent years ago, before I left." I replied to him.

I looked into his eyes and saw fear and worry blossom in their depths. "Oh!" Nick gave out, his voice low, tinged with the same worry and fear that I saw in his eyes. Before I could reassure him, he asked, "Did you......did you take or drink anything there? I need to know."

I searched his eyes for a long moment before I replied. "I'm not going to lie to you Nick. I was......" I started saying. Before I could finish, he gasped and moaned out loudly, "Noooo..." clutching at his stomach, as he squeezed his eyes shut tightly. I got up quickly and hurriedly rounded the table.

I pulled him up and into my arms, or at least I tried to. Nick started beating on my chest, refusing to let me hold him as he cried and wailed, "Wwhyyy?! Not again! Not this time! Please, why?! Tell me you didn't, please tell meeee!"

I wrestled his arms behind his back and held on to him tightly, wrapping my arms around him and rocked him soothingly. "It's ok Nick, I didn't take anything. I didn't drink anything. I swear." It took a while for my words to reach him. I had to repeat myself several times, but when what I was saying finally got through to him his body sagged against me and I could literally feel the sense of relief that washed through him.

I maneuvered us so that I was sitting in the chair and he sat in my lap. I tucked his head in the crook of my neck and shoulders and continued to rub soothing circles into his back as he slowly calmed down. "I'm sorry I scared you. I didn't mean to." I said, while kissing his temple.