Chapter Twenty-Eight "POWERFUL"

Video above. I was inspired by this song. It speaks to the deep connection between Liam and Nicholai. So my wonderful readers, I hope you all enjoy this chapter.

NICHOLAI.......................

I sat there in the semi darkness of the pool house and waited for Liam, my mate. I was silently hoping and praying that his dad Cameron had found him in time. I tiredly scrubbed my hands over my face, sighing in exhaustion as I leaned back against the couch staring up into the ceiling. After my talk with Liam's dads Hunter and Rafe, I realized just exactly what I had been subconsciously doing to my mate these past few weeks since Tristan had been released from the hospital.

Unable to sit still, I surged up off the couch and started pacing. Everything about the past few weeks flashed through my mind. What stood out to me in stark relief was the look on Liam's face every time that I used his mistakes like a well aimed whip to lash him with, or when I used Blake like a precisely aimed sword to stab and to cut him open, every time that I used our son like a vice around his heart to squeeze him to death. And every time that I did, a sweet sense of twisted satisfaction ran through me, a sense that he deserved all of the pain and hurt that I was inflicting on him with my words.

Whether consciously or subconsciously, I had deliberately used every chance that I got to hurt him, to inflict as much pain on Liam as possible. I honestly don't know if it was in an effort to protect myself, to keep him at arms length or if it was just to cause him pain. Whatever my reasons, today I had finally driven Liam to the edge, the brink, and now here I was praying that his dad Cameron would be able to make it in time to pull him back.

Liam was a recovering drug addict and I had taken every opportunity to use his mistakes, his past against him, not just to inflict pain but also to keep us apart. I know that I told him that I would give him a second chance, give us a second chance, but I was holding back. I knew that I still I didn't trust him, it would probably take a really long time for him to earn back my trust, but I couldn't deny the pull of the mate bond. The yearning, the need for my mate. It was still there and since Liam's return it had only intensified tenfold. The pull was so powerful, the ache so deep, that it was like a physical pain in my chest. As much as I was still angry at him, as much as my dragon was still angry at Liam, we still burned inside for our true mate.

I braced my hands on top of the open bar counter, my back towards the open doors leading out to the pool. I closed my eyes tightly as I took deep breaths in an effort to calm the raging heat deep within my core. I had to get out of here before he came back. As this thought ran through my mind, my head snapped up and my body stiffened as I sensed a presence behind me. I scented the air, not that I needed to do so, I didn't need to turn around either to know who it was.

I spun around to face the glowing eyes of my mate. I watched as his nostrils flared and he inhaled my scent. I was in heat and now he knew it too. Liam emitted a low, deep growl as his wolf surfaced completely and took control. He stalked towards me with purposeful strides. As he made his way across the room towards me I realized that there would be no turning back, no stopping what was about to happen between us. I had waited too long to leave and now the decision had been taken out of my hands.

He gripped my arms and jerked me towards him as he growled out "MINE!" Then he smashed his lips on my own. Everywhere that he touched me, the most intense, the most powerful sparks of electricity erupted. Not just on the surface of my skin, but they raced through me like lightning bolts, seeking out the heat that I had been trying to keep buried deep within my core and hidden from him for the past few days.

The sparks of electricity, the surge of lightning coalesced, intertwined and ignited a fire deep within my core that quickly became a blaze, a blaze that turned into a raging inferno within mere moments. I opened my mouth and let him in as he nipped at my lip demanding entry. Our tongues met and intertwined, before dueling for dominance. I gave it up to him, allowing him full control of our kiss. He eagerly explored my mouth, his tongue dipped inside, stroked and licked, leaving nowhere within my mouth unexplored. The kiss was hard, it was bruising, it was intense and I loved it.