Chapter Fifteen "THE VANGUARDS"

Picture above Liam meditating.

It's been Five Years. Five years since I woke from a massive drug overdose that should have killed me. Five years here in this place among the Vanguards. It was due to the combined efforts of my mate and the Vanguard Monks, that I survived my attempted suicide. Since I woke up I've spent the past five years working with the Master on finding myself. It's been Five Years of hard, bitter work. But I'm finally ready to go home.

Flashback.....................

I woke up suddenly, gasping for breath, surging up from the bed that I was sleeping in, clutching at my aching chest. I felt hands trying to restrain me, but in my state of delirium I attempted to fight them off. But what fight I was able to put up proved to be very ineffective. Easily the hands pushed me back down on the bed. My eyes whirled in my head as I tried to determine where I was. "Easy there, young Prince. It's ok. You're safe. You're fine." The man's soothing voice finally reached me and my eyes latched onto his. I clutched at his arms, my mouth began to move, but no words would come out.

I wanted to say something, ask something. It was important, but my brain wouldn't work and no words would formulate. The man could see that I was becoming more and more distressed as I tried to speak and couldn't do so. His voice reached me again as he placed his thumb on my forehead and with the slightest amount of pressure he once again whispered, "Easy young Prince. You are safe. Sleep now." With that I felt myself drifting off into a dreamless sleep.

The next time I woke up, I was much calmer. I suspected that this was due to the man that was standing at the foot of the bed. It wasn't the same man that had been with me the first time that I woke. I don't know how I knew this, but I just did. I stared at the man. The power coming off of him was rivaled only by my parents Rafe, Hunter and my grandfather Vlad. I could literally see his power swirling around him.

As we continued to stare at each other, his glowing Sapphire Blue eyes boring into my own, the silence in the room lengthened and thickened, until I started to feel uncomfortable. I opened my mouth to break it, but once again my voice wouldn't work. After several tries in which I opened and closed my mouth like a fish gulping for water, I tried clearing my throat. Big mistake. The pain that shot through me had me gasping. Finally I was able to croak out "Water. Please. Water."

The man took carefully measured steps closer to me, he poured a glass of water from the pitcher beside my bed and held it for me to drink. I knew from experience to take slow sips, I knew also that swallowing was going to hurt like a bitch. But my throat was parched and I desperately needed the water. Once I was done, he set the glass aside and I collapsed back unto the bed, chest heaving. Completely exhausted from the little energy that I had expended. The man still didn't say a word.

I turned my head to look at him again. As our eyes met once more I felt the impact of his power and it shook me. "Where am I?" I was finally able to croak out.

"You are with the Vanguards. Your grandfather Vladimir Drago brought you to us." He replied in a voice that resonated with his power.

"Why?"

"To save you young Prince. But our efforts to save you would have failed if not for the extremely rare and deep connection that you share with your very powerful mate."

I frowned at him, "save me? powerful mate? Connection? what is he talking about?" He seemed to realize my confusion. He reached his hand out and pressed his thumb against my forehead. I flinched away from his touch, but through very little effort he held my head in place and proceeded to show me what I had forgotten.