Home

I made some pit stops on the way to Bookings, but when I saw the sign that said."Welcome to Bookings! Population 9,897." I smiled and I rolled down my windows and started admiring my hometown. As I past the local stores I honked and waved to them, they knew it was me because they always expect me around this time. I had to go see Missy before I went home. I drove to her family store and when I parked I honked a bunch of times, I jumped out of my truck and walked into the store. "Sorry we're closed." Her dad said and looked up at me and smiled and he came out from behind the counter and bear hugged me. "Missy come in here please!" He yelled after he let go of me. I heard her coming and when he saw me she smiled and we jumped into each others arms.

"Missy!" I said and we hugged each other very tight. Missy has been my best friend since the third grade. She's two years older than me, so she's done with college. We came best fiends when we went to riding camp together, and when we were younger we would partner rope together.

"Look who it is, J D Jackson." She used her nickname for me, actually it's the town's nickname for me.

"I've missed you!" I said and hugged her again.

"I probably missed you more honey.. These girls here are driving me nuts!" She said. Missy doesn't really like the local girls here but some of them are good, but they really don't like Missy.. At least she has a boyfriend and two good friends here.

"Have you been to your momma's yet?" Her dad, Darrel, asked me. He's always been like a father to me..

"No, not yet sir." I said and he chuckled.

"I reckon you best get over there, she's been missing you like crazy." He said and slung a towel over is shoulder.

"Okay. I'll see you guys tomorrow?" I said as I walked out the door.

"Yeah, goodnight!" They both said and I walked out of their store and back into my truck.

I turned onto the red gravel and a smile formed on my face and I started speeding down the road. I honked when I passed Old Remi's house and he waved to me and I continued down the road. I saw our big yard and I parked on the grass and quickly shut off my truck and I saw my mom on the porch drinking her sweet tea and she smiled. I ran to her and picked her up and spun her around, with her laughing. "Okay Jams that's enough." She laughed and I slowly put her down, then I hugged her.

"Hi momma." I said to her when I released. She had her her straightened and a nice tee shirt on.

"Are you hungry?" She asked me placing her hand on my back and walking into the house.

"Yes ma'am." I smiled and I walked I into the kitchen and the sweet smell of green bean casserole, biscuits, and wild turkey, my favorite. I saw the iced tea and I grabbed the pitcher and poured me a glass, then I set the table. My mom sat across from me as she put the last dish down. She reached for my hands and we bowed our heads.

"Dear Lord, we thank you for the opportunity for us to be joined again at this time and this wonderful food. Thank you for a lovely spring and hopefully a great summer. Thank you for the blessings you have given to this family, we hope Mike and Kacey are treating you well up there. Amen." She said and I opened my eyes. Mike is my dad, he died four years ago in a car crash.. When my dad died it was the hardest thing I ever went through. He was my coach for everything but he had a great personality. I didn't know one person who didn't like him. To remember him, every time I have a volleyball game I put athletic tape around my ankle with "Waniyanpi friend." Written on it, it means like domestic animal or livestock. I also engraved it on my horse's bridle. A Lakota man gave him the nickname because they said my dad could work with any animal.