The Real Truth

***** Late Evening Wednesday *****

I was finishing up with Sitka when I looked over at all the horses, when I noticed something out of the ordinary. I saw Nala laying down inside the barn, what is she doing? She's usually with all the other horses playing around. 

I walk into the barn and I go over to her and she huffs. I go onto my knees and I start to feel all over her, checking her ankles to see if they are hot and swollen. If they are she definitely sprained or even broke an ankle. 

Thankfully, her ankles weren't hot and sweaty. So what was wrong with her? I didn't check her forehead, but she was sweaty and breathing heavy. I have to call a vet. I quickly speed dialed my vet and he finally answered.  "Hi this is Tim." He said. 

"T-Tim, hi it's Jamie J-Jackson.." I said still petting her, trying to calm her down. 

"Are you okay, what's up?" He asks me, understanding my tone of voice and stuttering. 

"Well I noticed Nala laying down in the barn and I checked her ankles and they seem fine, but I noticed she is sweating and breathing really hard and I don't know what's going on with her-"

"Jamie, slow down sweetheart.. Take a deep breath and I'll be there in ten minuets." He says and I nod to myself and take a deep breath. 

"Okay, see you soon." I say and hang up the phone. "Please be okay girl." I say and kiss her forehead and continue to do my own breathing. Nala has never been sick before, and I'm worried because I need her for competing, since Jasper is out on his own ankle sprain, which really sucks. 

******************

Doctor Tim and I managed Nala to get her on her feet and he started examining her.. I started tapping my thighs, waiting for some type of answer from him. What if something is seriously wrong with her? Would her and I be able to compete again? Would I be able to ride her in general again? I'm sure nothing is wrong with her, she's a very strong and healthy horse. I make sure of that every day. 

"Jamie you have all mares right?" He asked me as he put his stethoscope around his neck. 

"Yeah.." I say a little uneasy. 

"You don't have any stallions do you?" He asks me and I put my hand in a general position in the air motioning towards the horses. 

"No, we go to a different ranch if we want to breed." I say to him and and nods. 

"Do you know if you have any stallions around in the area?" 

"No-what are you going with this?" I ask him, getting anxious and impatient. 

"Jamie, your horse is pregnant." He says and I chuckle at him, but his face is not humorous. How could this be? How can my horse be PREGNANT?! I was so taken back, I was at a loss of words. 

"How could I not have noticed this?" I asked him. 

"You wouldn't of known by eye, and you didn't go to school for this. It's not your fault." He says and holds my shoulder as I stare at my now pregnant mare. "Have you been riding her?" He asks me and I shamefully look down and nod. "Well that's why she's like that, it's not serious since she's just recently pregnant." 

"Is she okay other than that?" I ask him tucking a loose strand behind my ear and then crossing my arms. 

"Yes, I'll give you some medication and I'll be back tomorrow for more information.. Tonight just let her do her own thing and give her water when I leave and I'll come at ten tomorrow? Oh and if she doesn't drink the water, call me right away."