The Future

"Missy, you're not helping!!" I hiss at Missy, evening though she did come with me to go ring shopping for Jamie. Missy started to pick rings for herself, and not even helping me. I had an idea what kind of ring I wanted to give to Jamie, but it had to be perfect. 

"Honestly I'm jealous." She said making me smirk. 

"Missy, you do have a boyfriend.." I joke with her and she looks at me and gives me the death glare, making me a little scared. Good luck Braxton. "Sorry." I mumble to her and keep looking. 

"I'm jealous that she's gonna get engaged before me. It only makes sense for me to get married first! I'v been dating Braxton a lot longer than she's been dating you, and I'm older than her!" She whines to me. 

"Well maybe you should talk to him about it." I say to her and look down at a possible ring. Eh, to ovalish. 

"Luke, over here!!!" Missy says in an excited voice, and my heart starts pounding. I quickly walk over to the counter she is at and she's pointing down at a ring. "This is definitely it, trust me Luke. She'll love it and you forever." 

"Okay, what size did you say?" I ask her and get the store clerk's attention with my hand. 

"Six." Missy says and then looks over her shoulder, "Holy shit!" She whispers and then ducks under the counter. I look at the clerk and he gives me a weird look and I shake my head. 

"Missy, what are you doing?" I ask her looking down at her, and she looks in the same direction. 

"Braxton is here! Oh my gosh, he's getting a ring!!!" Missy says excitedly. I look where she's looking and there is Braxton talking to one of the managers, getting help. "He can't see me here!" She panics.   

"Just stay there." I whisper to her, but I don't know why I did. "Sorry," I look up at the clerk. "I'd like to see that one, size six." I say to him and he nods and pulls a drawer and hands me the ring. 

"Let me see!" Missy whisper/yells at me and I give her the ring and her jaw drops. "Get it dude!" She smiles at me and I take time to inspect it, it's a yes from me.

"I'd like to buy it." I say and he looks at me like are-you-sure-you-can-buy-this-you-cowboy-look. 

"You do know it's $2,500?" He says slowly to me and again looks at my boots and cowboy hat. What the hell is his deal? 

"Yes I know, is that a problem?" I say, getting a little rough with my voice. 

"Well people like you, usually shop over there." He says and points at the discount counter. This sir needs a little ass kicking. My people? His people need a little lesson on how this country was built, and who grows produce to feed them. 

"Look here sir, all I want to do is buy this ring. And if you don't wrap this ring in that little box in the next minuet, your sorry ass will be wrapped in a casket." I threaten him, leaning over the counter to intimidate him.  

"Yes, right away." He gulps and picks up the ring and goes somewhere else. I smirk to myself and mentally give myself a pat on the back. It may have been a little harsh, but he can kiss my country ass. 

                        ************** JAMIE ***********

I finished mucking out all of the stalls and now I'm laying down with Nala, resting my head on her pregnant stomach. I started singing to a Gretchen Wilson CD I put in a while ago. Gretchen was my favorite female singer, and then it was Tanya Tucker. 

I was thinking about random things, and plans for this weekend. I hate to say it, but I go back to college in a month, and I am not excited. I don't want to leave home and my horses. I'll for sure miss Luke a whole lot, that will be hard. My mom's coming home in a couple of days and I can't wait to hear her stories, and have her spend more time with Luke.