20. Once A Murderer, Always A Murderer

CHAPTER | TWENTY

"Are you sure this is going to work?" I asked nervously.

"We have no other choice, Kelly." Jasper whispered, looking around if anyone was coming.

"And this is the only distraction you thought of? By throwing myself down the stairs?" I asked, looking at him with in disbelief.

Jasper gave me a flat look before looking around. "Got any other bright ideas, Sherlock?"

"Why don't we just walk right out the front doors instead of having to create this dramatic and, might I add, painful distraction?"

"But then where's the fun in that?" Jasper raised an eyebrow.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Now I can see where Lucas gets his crazy ideas from." I mumbled under my breath, going down the stairs.

Jasper stood up and ran to catch up with me. "Someone has to teach the kid that life is not all about being sad or serious— like some people here."

I slapped his shoulder. "I can be fun from time to time."

Jasper crossed his arms across his chest. "Don't get all defensive on me. I'm just stating the truth."

I rolled my eyes and kept my mouth shut as we walked out the front doors where students and parents walked to the parking lot. I slipped my gown off and ditched it under the bushes. Jasper took off his leather jacket and handed it to me along with his sun glasses to keep myself hidden. Putting on the jacket and sun glasses, we walked to Jasper's car where it was parked a few blocks away.

"Hey, you! The ceremony is about to start!"

I froze in the spot and looked behind me to see one of the assistant principle walking towards us as he struggled to come forward from the crowd. Jasper and I shared looks before bolting down the street.

"And you said to just walk out the front doors! Now we got a fat man with a pizza stain on his shirt chasing us!"

"Just shut up and keep running!"

We ran down the street as fast as we could, pushing and bumping into people as we ran to Jasper's car. We ignored the name calling, but occasionally, Jasper raised his middle finger up high as he ran. I turned around and I wasn't able to spot the assistant principle anymore. I slowed down to a stop and leaned on a nearby tree as I tried to catch my breath. Jasper stopped and put his hands on his knees, sucking in big deep breaths.

"Damn, I haven't ran like that for years." Jasper panted, wiping away the sweat from his forehead.

"That's because you are old. Old people don't run much."

Jasper gave me dull stare. "I'm not that old."

"Don't get all defensive on me. I'm just stating the truth." I said, quoting Jasper.

He narrowed his eyes and stood upright, looking around his surroundings. I frowned at the unreadable expression on his face. Jasper was always a hard person to read. He always closed himself off. His face of concern about his son showed that he was truly worried about his son's well-being.

I couldn't believe that Lucas was his son. As soon as he said that, I stared at Jasper as if he had grown a second head and was left speechless. How was it that I wasn't able to tell the similarities between them? Now that I looked at it, they almost looked the same. Same black hair and same personality. Well, not exactly the same personality. While Jasper was closed off and expressed very little, Lucas was the opposite.