5. The Argument

CHAPTER | FIVE

  "Kelly, come on. You have to eat something. You haven't eaten at all today."

  I blinked, keeping my gaze out the window. The night was rolling in as the sun disappeared and the moon took its place in the sky. The lights in the houses went off one by one, a sign people were off to dreamland. Cars drove by to get to their destination or to crash somewhere to get rest. Dogs in the backyards barked or howled at the full moon. Cats hid under the parked cars or in the tall bushes. It was the same as any other night, but for me, it felt different.

  "Do you think mom would be proud of what I have done the past three years?" I whispered softly, breaking the silence between us.

  I heard Max sighed behind me. He came around and lifted my chin with his forefinger and thumb, his expression cheerless.

  "Kelly, I'm sorry I left you alone with dad. If I would have known what his plans were, I wouldn't have left." He said quietly.

  "But you did, Max. You left me alone to deal with him, and now I kill people for what? To protect his ass when all he did was spat at me since mother died?"

  ''Kelly... I'm sorry. I really am. If I could change the past, I would." He whispered sadly, tucking my hair behind my ear. He wrapped his arms around me, pulling me into a hug. I buried my face in his chest, listening to his steady heartbeat.

  "I would, too." I whispered into his chest.

  "Everything will turn out okay for all of us. I promise it will."

  "Don't make promises that you won't keep," I said. "I don't want to give so much hope on a promise just so it can be broken in the end. I've had enough with broken promises."

  "I'm sorry."

  "You didn't answer my question, Max." I said, referring to my earlier question.

  He pulled away and looked straight into my eyes. "Mom would have wanted you to get away from dad. She would have wanted to see you safe and sound with Danny. She doesn't want see you crying every time you would... you know."

  "I can't run away from dad. He's my legal guardian. But let's say I do run away from him and tried to hunt me down. What will I do then?"

  "We could take this to court. I could get the custody of you and Danny." He suggested.

  "And what will you say in front of the judge? Wait—how old do you have to be to make your own decisions without parents?"

  "Eighteen. How old are you?"

  "Eighteen."

  Max stood up and ran his hand across his lower lip. "So, if you're eighteen, how come you don't want to come with me to New York? If you go to New York, then all of this will be over. Dad can't do anything about it. Problem solved."

  "Max, I want to finish high school here, not in New York. Six more months and school is over. I can wait."

  "So, you're going to stay here with him for six more months?!" He shouted furiously.

  "Max, I want to finish high school first. Then I'll go with you to New York. What's so hard to understand about that?"

  "You don't get it, do you?"

  I frowned at him and turned in my seat to look at him completely. "What do you me—?"

  "I came here so that I could get you and Danny out of here! I came here to free you from dad! I came here because I want you to have a better life! I don't want you going out at night killing people just 'cause dad orders you to! The police are looking for you and this is your way to escape!"