42. The Truth

CHAPTER | FORTY-TWO

We silently went up the steps where it was surprisingly dark. Max led me to the right hallway. A window sat at the end of the hallway, the white curtains swaying with the wind.

Max and I shivered as we neared the end. Max shut the window and pulled the curtains. I blew into my freezing hands as Max stood in front of a door that meant it was his and Mandy's room.

Max hesitated and turned to me. "Be careful around her. She's..."

"Depressed," I filled in, watching Max nod worriedly, "I know, and I'm sorry."

Max flashed me a weary smile and opened the door softly, creaking as he opened it wide enough for both of us to get in. I stood in the dark; the only source of light came from an opened window. A rocking chair sat in front of the window, casting an eerie shadow as chills raced up and down my spine. The rocking chair swayed back and front, a foot dangling from the edge and using the wall to push the chair.

Max leaned towards a desk and turned on the lamp. The room lit up more and rocking chair stopped swaying for a split second before it resumed in its gentle beat.

The room was surprisingly huge. A small chandelier hung above our heads as well as paper made swans. A king sized bed sat to the right with two nightstands on either side as well as small lamps of stars. To the left was a huge walk messy walk in closet and a desk with strips of paper thrown everywhere. A nice designed rug sat underneath the rocking chair and I noticed more paper swans surrounding the chair.

Max went closer, being careful not to step on the swans. He kneeled in front of the chair and reached up. "Hey, I got a surprise for you." He spoke in such a gentle voice that made me almost relax.

Mandy coughed a little and sat up. "I'm not in the mood for surprises, Max." She said, her voice hoarse from the lack of use.

My heart clenched. Where was the Mandy I used to know? Why wasn't she laughing or smiling? Why was she locking herself in? Did something happen to her while she was captured? Something must've happened to cause her to end up like this. I knew it wasn't just the disappearance of Danny and me. She was keeping it to herself. I know she was and I could tell Max thought the same thing with the way his eyes flickered between pain and anger.

"But this surprise will cheer you up." Max tried again, briefly glancing at me.

"Not now, Max. I'm tired and I want to sleep." She added.

Max looked completely crushed and looked ready to give up when I stepped in. "Come on, Mandy. Don't be such a fun sucker. You always told me to live the fun life. And don't lie. You are a sucker for surprises."

Mandy jumped in her seat as I stood beside Max, forcing a smile when it flattened at the sight of her. Mandy had lost the life behind her eyes as they widened. Her once silky and wavy hair was now greasy and knotted up in a messy side braid. She was always dressed in the most prettiest and colorful clothes. Now she wore nothing but a grey v-shirt and baggy sweatpants with a puffy dull robe hung around her slender shoulders. Even from here, I could see her swollen belly.

I shifted my eyes away from her belly and squatted down. "Congratulations, by the way. You must be excited to have your first child."

Mandy seemed to be lost for words as her hands went around her unborn child. "I... Max, I'm seeing things again."

Max smiled and grabbed her hand. "No, Mandy, not this time."

Mandy's eyes welled in tears. "I-I'm not dreaming?"