33. "I did this"

CHAPTER | THIRTY-THREE

Lucas and I ran through the busy streets of New York, pushing and shoving people out of the way. Our bags bounced up and down on our hips as our arms pumped at our sides. Our sneakers slapped the pavement as we looked wildly around for the car Elijah had left for us to use.

We came to a halt at a corner, looking around for the black Honda. I spotted it from across the street and tugged Lucas's sleeve, pointing at it. He nodded and grabbed my hand, pulling me towards it. We ignored the insults and honks from the cars as we crossed the hectic street and came to stand in front of the car.

Lucas quickly unlocked it and we hoped in, throwing our bags in the backseats. I tugged my seatbelt on as Lucas jammed the key in, making the car roar to life. He floored it and we drove out of the parking spot, squeezing our car between a truck and bus, who honked at us.

I leaned back in my seat to catch my breath. Sweat rolled down my neck and forehead and I wanted nothing more than to take off my stupid ball cap, but I couldn't do that. Lucas drove through the streets like a mad man, breaking the speeding limits and earning a set of angry honks from the other cars, waving their fists and middle fingers at us.

I put one hand on the dashboard while my other hand held onto the arm rest for dear life. My stomach did flip flops as Lucas made sharp turns and passed red lights.

We managed to get on the highway alive where Lucas slowed down a bit. His hands were clasped tightly on the steering wheel to the point where it made his knuckle white. He was tensed and his eyes were focused on the road until he cursed foully under his breath, smacking the steering wheel.

"Lucas, you need to calm down!"

"Why the hell are we running from my dad and your brother?" Lucas asked, voice rising a bit.

"We aren't supposed to be here and oh, yeah. There's a high chance Austin and my father might join us for dinner. Since they already found us." I added flatly.

"They found us?!"

"Yeah, this morning. Austin had me cornered."

Lucas sputtered. "And you forgot to mention this to me?"

"I didn't want to ruin your moment. You seemed happy when you woke up." I defended.

Lucas reached over, flickering my ear. I leaned away, cupping my ear. "That's what you get for keeping things from me." He said before I had to ask.

I narrowed my eyes and crossed my arms over my chest, looking out the window. Lucas sighed, his shoulders slumping. "I'm sorry. It's just that—Well, why did we come back we're running from your brother and my dad?"

Now I sputtered. "We?! I wanted to come back alone. It was you who tagged along." I accused, stressing some words to make a point.

"You expected me to leave you behind with all this going on?"

"No, shit."

Lucas rubbed his thumb across his bottom lip and took the next exit and hit the brakes in front of a school. He turned his body to face me, his eyes flaring with anger. "You expected me to leave you behind with all this going on?" He repeated, putting more emphasizes in his words.

"I don't understand where you are going with this." I said, crossing my arms over my chest again.

Lucas threw his hands in the air. "You are in danger! You expected me to leave you behind?!"