46. Freedom

CHAPTER | FORTY-SIX

I walked out of the bathroom stall and tucked my pajamas in the plastic bag, tying it and rolling it up in a ball. I put it beside the sink and looked in the mirror.

My eyes were still red and I had dark bags under my eyes. I winced at my reflection, putting my hand on the mirror to cover my face and lowering my eyes.

I gathered my hair up in a high messy ponytail and pulled the hood of my sweater up. I washed my hands with the cheap soap that was provided there. I damped my neck and splashed some water on my face to wash away the sleep.

I breathed through my mouth as I dried my face. I stepped back, pulling my sweater down and tugging at the collar of the black shirt I changed into. I lifted my shirt up and tucked the white strings of my sweatpants inside.

I sighed and took the balled up bag and got out of the bathroom, almost bumping into a couple who were making out heavily beside the door. I stepped aside and walked out of the gas station, thanking the cashier for allowing me to use the bathroom.

I climbed back inside the car and headed back to the highway. I glanced at the digital clock and sat up in my seat. I hit the gas, slowing down once in a while. It was already six and I was only a third of a quarter away. I took the exit to the town where Max was and zoomed past the streets, driving past almost two red lights.

I swallowed when I passed by the private road to the house. I was bound to get a mouthful of this when was over. I sighed.

I took out the directions I took with me and drove another hour and half. My heart thumped loudly in my chest and I was getting restless of just sitting still. I tapped my fingers nervously on the steering wheel and the silence in the car was making me uneasy.

I flipped on the radio and went through stations until I settled down on a station that played music from the old times. Gimme Shelter by The Rolling Stones started playing and I almost smiled.

I was seven when I first heard this song.

My mother had me in bed and left me after biding me a goodnight with a kiss on the forehead. I was not feeling tired, so I got up to ask if I could stay up just a little longer. Max was out with his friends and begged our parents if he could come home around midnight.

My parents said yes and Max left with his friends. I was all alone with my parents and I wanted to take the opportunity to spend time with them. I tiptoed to the living room and stopped right by the doorway. I frowned in distaste when I heard the song, but I soon started to like it when the chorus blasted through the small speakers. My father sung along and my mother laughed at him.

She joined him and they sung at the top of their lungs. They sounded so wonderful together and I wanted to join, so I came out. My mother scowled at me for getting out of bed, but my father waved her off, tapping his lap. I ran over and sat on his lap. He put the song again and I tried to sing along, but I didn't know the words, so I only hummed along with the beat.

My mother sat next to my father, hand in hand as they sung. They looked at each other in the eyes, both glowing with love and happiness. I stared up at them and scrunched up my nose. My mother laughed and my father pinched my nose playfully.

I shook my head away from the memory when I noticed I was driving on a lonely road. Tall trees stood on either side of the road, covered in layers upon layers on snow. I slowed down and looked at the directions.

Right after driving on this road, I was supposed to see a sign that had nothing, but the letters W and M. I picked up some speed and kept my eyes peeled open. No cars drove pass me and I started to feel uneasy again. I turned the radio off when I noticed the sign.