6. Looking

CHAPTER |SIX

"I can't believe this." I groaned, rubbing my face with both of my hands.

I leaned back on tree in defeat and glared at my laptop screen. I've been trying to look up for schools that would accept Danny for the last two hours. There were many schools out here that would accept him, but I wanted to take him to a school where I knew people wouldn't bully him. I wanted him to fit in and make feel him like wasn't so alone.

I knew I couldn't judge based on the school's website, but as read about their programs and how helpful the teachers were to their students, I found myself exiting the web page.

I was at the park where Danny and I always played. Very little people were hanging around and I found it a perfect place to do get some research done. Max and Austin were driving me up the walls with their persistent nagging of eating and moving to New York.

Danny stayed over at Austin's place with Max. It would seem like Max and Danny were getting along. Max started learning sign language, claiming it looked fun and would be very helpful in the future.

I sighed, slamming my laptop shut in frustration. Putting it in my bag, I stood up, but was tackled to the ground by no other than Joselyn Williams.

I groaned, patting her back as she faked ugly sobs. "It's good to see you too, Joselyn." I gritted out through clenched teeth.

She sniffed, pulling away and sat on her knees. She was wearing a pair of grey sweatpants with her black uggs. She had on dark pink jacket with matching gloves, hat, and scarf. Her hair was in a messy high pony tail. Her cheeks and nose were bright red from the bitter wind.

"Where have you been this week?! You haven't answered or returned my phone calls, my text messages, or my email!" She ranted, ticking off the list with her fingers.

I smiled teasingly at her, leaning back on my hands. "Did someone miss me?"

She slapped my leg and blew a lock of hair away from her face. "Of course I missed you! Lucas and I have been looking for you every day at school."

My heart skipped a beat. "You and who?"

Why would Lucas look for me? Was he mad?

"Lucas and I were looking--"

"I get that part. What I don't get as to why Lucas would look for me, idiot."

"Ooh! He—Hm. You know I never really thought of why he was looking for you... until now." She said slowly, tapping her chin with her pointer finger.

I titled my head to the side. "So, you were with him for a week and you never asked him why he was looking for me?"

She dropped her arms to her side. "It's Friday, dude. All I have in this head is a marathon of Supernatural."

I scoffed, sitting upright and putting my bag on my lap.

"So... Why didn't you show up for school?" She asked, looking at me.

I leaned against the tree again and pulled my knees up. Resting my arms on my knees, I played with a loose thread that hung from my bag.

"Kelly? What's wrong, honey?" She sat in front of me and grabbed my hands, giving them a gentle squeeze.

When I didn't say anything, realization made Joselyn's face pale. "Did something happen in Danny's doctor appointment?"

I took a deep breath and nodded.

"What happened?"

"They say there is not a chance for him to hear."

Joselyn's expression softened. I could tell that was not what she was expecting to hear.

"Danny and I were spending some time together. I just wanted some time off with him," I said, "Plus I was busy."

"Busy with what?"

"I was looking for a school for Danny to attend." I replied.

"Doesn't Danny already go to a school?" Joselyn frowned suspiciously at me, furrowing her eyebrows together.

"Well... I sort of got in trouble there and I need to find a new school for him to go."

Joselyn sighed and shook her head. "What did you do this time, Kelly?"

"I..." I trailed off purposely, biting my lower lip.

"You...?" She waved her hand for me to continue.

"Slapped Danny's teacher in the face and most likely will get sued for it." I blurted it out.

"You did what?!" Joselyn exclaimed.

"It was her fault!" I defended.

"Why would you do that?" Joselyn asked.

"Because I went to pick up Danny and he had a bruise on his face! I asked the bitch of a teacher about it and she was like 'Oh, I don't know.'" I said, mocking the teacher's high pitch voice.

"Then you did well!" Joselyn patted my knee.

"Don't worry about it her suing you. You have done worse to Danny's past teachers." Joselyn rubbed my knee, giving me a secret wink.

I burst out laughing. A year ago, it was the last day of school for Danny. Joselyn and I went to go pick up Danny. I loathed Danny's uptight teacher because she always gave Danny a hard time, and since it was the last day of school, I sneaked up behind her and pulled down her skirt in front of everybody. No one saw that it was I who did it, but Joselyn and Danny. I was never caught, but at times when I would see the teacher, she would just give me death glares. I would just smile at her innocently and wave.

Joselyn and I sighed dramatic. Good times, good times.

"So, how is Danny?" Joselyn asked after a period of silence.

"He is doing well so far." I replied.

She nodded in understanding. "That's good to hear. I'm going to buy him a gift to cheer him up."

"I swear to god if you give him another cheap happy meal toy from McDonald, I will throw it at your face."

"Why I have never done such a thing! But, no, really, there are these cute glow-in-the-dark cups in McDonald's and I think Danny will really like my gift this time!"

"Joselyn."

"Yeah?"

"You brought him that a week ago."

"... Fuuuck!"

-----

"Max? Austin? I'm back!" I shouted, closing the front door with my foot. I kicked off my shoes as I took off my hoodie.

No one responded.

Weird, I thought to myself. Usually they would have come out and start an argument over the same thing.

New York this. New York that. Everything was about New York.

I sighed and ran my hand though my hair in frustration. I started making my way to Austin's room, dragging my bag behind as I dug through my pocket for a piece of gum.

"Where have you been?" A deep voice demanded.

Startled, I spun around and came face to face with my angry father. I paled, taking a small step back as he took one forward. The smell of booze hit me and I inwardly cringed. This was not going to end well.