43. Think Before Speaking

CHAPTER | FORTY-THREE

"Right there, please." Mandy pointed over a tall naked tree with a stone bench beneath.

I held onto Mandy's arm and careful helped her sit down on the bench. Joselyn sat on the other side of the bench, tugging at her sweater.

"It's friggin' cold today." Joselyn commented, glancing at the grey sky above our heads.

I nodded in agreement, crossing my arms over my chest to keep my hands warm. Mandy pulled her shawl closer, her nose and cheeks turning pink and her breaths coming out in clouds.

"So, Christmas is around the corner." Mandy said, looking over where Danny played on the porch.

Joselyn grinned. "You guys wanna know what I'm getting you guys this year?"

I sniffed and leaned forward a bit. "If it's another Cha-Cha-Cha Chia plant, can it at least be something other than Scooby-Doo?"

Joselyn shook her head, waving her hand over her face. "Nah, it's not that. I decided to upgrade my style of presents."

"To what style?" Mandy asked, tearing her eyes away from Danny to peer at Joselyn curiously.

"Well, since I heard pregnant women get pretty horny and Kelly here is gonna get laid anytime soon now that she is reunited with Lucas—"

"Whoa, wait what?"

"—I decided to do some dirty shoppin' in Victoria Secrets." Joselyn finished off as if I never interrupted.

I felt my face heat up and Mandy appeared to be baffled. She cleared her throat awkwardly. "You and Hunter have some much in common, it's almost scary." She muttered to herself.

"What was that?"

"I said I love your idea of a Christmas present." Mandy quickly said.

Joselyn grinned wider and looked over to me, raising an eyebrow. "And what about you?"

I averted my eyes, feeling my face grow warmer. "I see you haven't changed a bit."

Joselyn leaned back on her hands, crossing her ankles. "Nah, I'm still me, baby."

I sighed, shaking my head. "I think I would rather have that Scooby-Doo plant instead of... naughty underwear."

Joselyn clicked her tongue. "Well, it's just too bad. I already got them puppies warped up and under the tree."

I coughed and Mandy sighed. "Oh, Joselyn..."

Joselyn chuckled and stood up when Hunter waved at her from the kitchen window. "Well, it's time to prepare the dinner. I'll meet with ya later."

We waved at her and watched her disappear in the house. We sat in silence for a while, watching a few snowflakes fall down and land on the dried up grass.

"Max told me last night of what happened to you and Danny," Mandy spoke up, putting her hand on top of her belly, "And I'm sorry to hear about your friend's death."

I smiled sadly. "He was a good man."

"I could imagine he was," Mandy smiled back before it flattened, "And I also heard about a friend you made. Clyde, right?"

I rested my elbows on my knees. "Uh huh," I admitted after a while, "Clyde was a good friend and Danny loved being around him."

Mandy and I looked at Danny. He was lying on his stomach, his hand moving along as he wrote something in his book.