8. An Extra Friend

CHAPTER | EIGHT

"I can't believe that mother--"

"Max! Will you shut up already for the love of god? You're giving me a headache with all the yelling and swearing." I snapped, placing my arm over my forehead and eyes to block out the sunlight pouring from the window.

Max had taken me to the hospital when I passed out waiting for him to return. When I woke up, I was in a hospital bed with Max by my side. The doctors took the glass out from my back and warped bandages around my torso. Now I was waiting for the doctors to give me the thumbs up to go home. The faster I'm outta here, the better. I couldn't stand being here. I couldn't stand the smell of hospitals and the whiteness of it. Something about it gave me the shivers. I was not use to hospitals no matter how many times I was sent here.

How could people become doctors and nurses to work in an environment like this was beyond me.

"Kelly, are you listening to me?"

I lazily lifted my arm from my eyes and looked at Max. "Sorry. What were you saying?"

Max sighed and sat on the chair beside the bed. He rubbed his face and looked at me with a tried expression on his face. I smiled tiredly and put my hand on his cheek. He closed his eyes and leaned onto my palm.

"Kelly, why can't we just go to New York?" He whispered.

I groaned. "Can't you understand my reason, Max?"

He shook his head and placed his hand over mine.

"Max?"

"Yeah?"

"What is the other reason you came back here?" I had wanted to ask him this since the little car scene, but every time the question was on the tip of tongue, I swallowed it back.

"What do you mean? I already told you. I came here to get you and Danny." He opened his eyes and stared at me in false confusion.

I shook my head. "I know you, Max. You came here for another reason, too."

"I just... I wanted to get away from... her." He averted his eyes, pretending to be interested in the white sheets.

I frowned confused. "Who is her?"

"My girl - I mean my ex-girlfriend." He corrected himself, spatting out the word "girlfriend" like if it burned his tongue to say it.

I blinked in surprise at how harsh he made it sound.

I had once met his girlfriend and she was a very nice person. She had this happy and bubbly personality. She wore a smile on her face all the time and when she looked at Max, she had that "head over heels love" look. How was it possible that they broke up?

"Ex?" I echoed.

He nodded, but didn't say anything else as Joselyn threw open the door forcefully, making it slam into the wall and bounce back. She looked at me with wide eyes before rushing to me. She gave me a hug being careful squeeze too tight. She sobbed on neck and I patted her back awkwardly, glancing at Max who stood up. He raised his hands and mouthed "don't look at me."

"There. There. Kelly is here." I said in an attempt to soothe her.

She pulled back and wiped away her tears before she punched my shoulder. Hard.

"Ow! Can't you see that I'm already in the hospital?! You want me to stay here longer or what?" I exclaimed, rubbing my shoulder.

"I don't know! Just shut up and take it like a man!" She wailed loudly, slumping on the chair where Max sat. "How do you feel?"