Dad

For a moment Jake was puzzled, honestly startled, when he nervously grabbed the phone from his wife.

"Hello?" He asked firmly.

There in the other line was an even more nervous John Niret.

"Son its me. I need your help."

"Your not going back to the-

"No it had nothing to do with me!" He shouted "well actually it does."

Jake listened as his dad explained, leaning against the wall.

"I was contacted by the Navy some local one here in Cali, they need my help, asked me to come for biology expertise." Explained John.

"Okay? Why call me?" Jake asked, scratching his head.

"They asked if there was anyone else I knew who might be able to help. I hesitated and I said you. I figured since your a strategic operator you-

"It's fine Dad." Jake replied, then sighing. "How's this gonna work?"

John explained. "They pick you up tomorrow morning."

Jake stopped for a minute. "they? Who do you mean they?"

"Some navy men will take you and me out to the place of operation."

Jake looked at the time and then turned back to the phone. "Any name mentioned?"

John began smattering words. "Mmmmmmarshall, something Marshall."

Jake looked up.

"I heard the name. Heard he's one of the best at extreme situations. What could they want us for?"

************

"Sam!!!" Jake shouted from the bedroom. "Where you put the ties?"

Sam rushed in and opened a door, grabbing a pair of ties. She asked him which one he'd rather. Jake picked a black tie with white dots. She helped him put it on and kissed him.

"I'll talk to Jack today. I'm sure he'll understand that today you got to do work here in the city." Jake looked to his left as Sam kissed him.

"I love you... So much. And I-

"But it's just so weird for me you know. I haven't talked to him since a the 2 years after mom died. I just get home and here he is again dragging me back in. It's what drove us apart in the first place. A couple of letters sent for catch ups, but not much Sam. and I wanted this to be about us and trying for another baby and-"

"Shhhh!....." Sam calmed him. "Do you remember when I first found out you went to the army?" She asked, Jake nodding . "And you were so worried we would drift apart because we'd be away.?" She continued.

Jake swallowed. "Yea."

"What was it I said to you? Do you remember?" Said Sam.

Jake sighed and looked down at the ground and then looked up. "If you have the opportunity to do something good for this world, take it, no matter what."

Sam smiled. "Exactly." she then wrapped her hands around him. "That's what you doing now." She added. "But your still close to home."

They kissed and then a car horn beeped.

Jake hurried out. "You'll talk to Jack for me?" She nodded and waved goodbye. And Jake Niret was one his way to something he didn't quite fully understand yet.

And sitting right next to him, was his father.