Chapter 39

Recommended song: back for you

Charlotte's point of view

"Char, are you ok ? You look like you've just ran into a ghost" Nathan jokes.

"I... I gotta go" I look up at my friends who are staring at me and force a smile. "I'm sorry. Well... have fun, I'll see you soon". Cassie looks at me confused and opens her mouth to speak but Ben cuts her off.

"Do you want me to drive you back ?"

"No don't worry, I'll walk"

"Call me if you need anything" He furrows his eyebrows and I smile to make him understand that I'm fine.

"Thank you Ben"

I glance at my friends and force a grin, then leave.
As soon as I'm a few meters away, my phone rings and I immediately recognise the voice of the psycho when I pick up.

"What do you want ?" I snap. I'm not in the mood to deal with her.

"I wanted to congratulate you Charlotte. I must say I'm impressed. Harry truly believes you don't want him, look to your right" I turn my head towards the indicated direction and my heart breaks when I see the curly boy I love, sat under a tree, his head buried between his knees.

"If you really loved him, you wouldn't want him to suffer" I clench my jaw, my gaze still on Harry.

"Oh don't worry about that, in one week he will have already forgotten you. Anyway, you did the right thing to push him away because as soon as I saw him reading your diary in your flat, my men were already in front of Hanna's house, waiting for my orders. But thankfully I had enough faith in you to know that you would do anything to prevent Harry from going to the police in order not to put your friends in danger."

"Harry still knows what happened, and even if he doesn't go to the cops, he knows what kind of psycho bitch you are. You'll never have him either" I snap and she doesn't answer for a while. She probably hadn't thought about that and maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it because she suddenly burst into a rage of anger.

"You fucking bitch, this is all your fault ! You stole my boyfriend then you left your fucking diary open like a dumb shit on your fucking desk and now he'll never want me again !" She's yelling and cursing through the phone, which scares me so much. I start to run towards Cassie's house because I know it won't be safe to come home tonight.

"He'd never have wanted you anyway ! Look at you, you're crazy ! You're sickly jealous and you can't stand the idea that Harry will never love you ! You're a fucking psycho !" I'm so mad now, and shouting at her was probably a very bad idea because now she's even more angry and god knows what she's going to do to me and everyone else.

"I'm going to find you, and I'm going to kill you !" She yells so hard that it feels like she's going to blow her vocal chords or something, then the line goes dead.

Suddenly the adrenaline rushes through my veins and I start panicking. I smash my phone on the floor so she doesn't locate me and run faster than before to Cassie's house.

In a certain way, I'm glad that I wasn't very close to her, Nick, Nathan, Rosalie and Ben at the time because she would have added them to the I'm-gonna-hurt-them-if-you-screw-up list.

I spend the next two hours, hidden in the greenhouse, shaking and crying, waiting for Cassie to come home and praying that the psycho doesn't hurt my friends and Vicky.

Finally I hear the sound of the gate open. I call for her and hear her stepping towards the greenhouse. I sigh in relief and stand up as the door opens. But it's not Cassie.