Chapter 41

"Miss, wake up. I'm sorry but... It's time"

I open my eyes and see Adam leant towards me, gently shaking my hand.

"What time is it ?"

"10 am"

I stand up a bit too fast because my head starts to spin and I have to sit down again. When I look up, Adam is still holding my gaze trying to force a smile.

"Adam... I'm going to die, aren't I ?" I ask timidly.

"I'm afraid so " he admits, breaking the eye contact to focus on the wall behind me.
Suddenly, Joe appears and steps towards me, a gun in his hand. I feel my heart pounding in my chest, knowing I only have a few minutes left to live. Joe grabs my arm and points the gun on my back.

"Let's go"

He leads me outside of the room and I glance at Adam. He looks as terrified as I am and I see his lips slowly moving as if he was saying "sorry".
He keeps hold of my gaze as I walk away.

A few seconds later, we enter a wide room but it's totally empty and quite similar to the previous one.
The psycho is standing there, a large gun in her hand, probably a silent one. Her hair is tied in a bun as usual and her gaze is harsh and full of anger.

"Charlotte, finally you are here" she smirks. Her face is the last thing on earth I want to see when I die so I look down. "You know, I could bring here all the people you love and kill them in front of your eyes, but the sooner you die, the sooner I'll be relived."
I don't speak and close my eyes, ready for the moment she will shoot.

"You know, I'm not very happy to kill you either. I wish you could have been more careful and Harry wouldn't have known about our deal and I wouldn't have to kill you."

"Then don't" I mutter, my jaw clenched.

"The fact that you die will be the only way for Harry to move on and stop thinking about you. Well after his mourning of course."

"There is no way I will ever stop thinking about her. She'll always have the most important place in my heart, no matter what you do to her and no matter what you make her do. "

I freeze when I hear the voice. This voice wasn't her's and Joe has left the room. It was Harry's.

I open my eyes and my mouth falls open. He's standing near the door, in the same clothes as yesterday. Dark rings are drawn under his beautiful green eyes because of the lack of sleep and his hair is in a total mess.

"Harry ?!" The psycho and I both shout at the same time but her voice sounds more like she's happy that he's joined us while mine only reflects fear and astonishment. Seeing him here makes me even more scared. Scared for him to get hurt or to see me die in front of him.

"What are you doing here ?" My tone is harsh. I must admit that I'm angry that he came here because it's too dangerous.

"I told you I was not going to let you down, remember ?" He snaps.

I gulp and nod as I remember him pronouncing the words yesterday, when I let him go.

"I don't need your help Harry. I told you it was too dangerous to come here ! What if you die ? What do you think is going to happen to the millions of fans who are supporting you ? And what about Niall, Zayn, Liam and Louis ? You can't let everyone down for me !"

I'm screaming now, and anger took over me once again. It feels like the only emotions I've been feeling lately are anger and sadness. He keeps staring at me with a frown then starts screaming too, stepping closer to me as he yells.

"You don't have to make these decisions for me ! You may not have feelings for me but I do have feelings for you and -"

"Enough !" The psycho shouts even more louder than us. Her voice echoes in the room and we stare at her speechless. Her face is red and her jaw is clenched. She's shaking with anger. Harry's little speech about loving me no matter what probably sent her over the edge. Then, everything happens very quickly. She extends her arms in front of her, her both hands wrapped around the gun. She she squeezes the trigger and at the same time, Harry throws himself in front of me and the shot fires, echoing in the room. The bullet hits Harry right in the chest and he falls at my feet, blood running over his body.

"Harry !" I shout, falling at the ground next to him. "Harry, Harry ! Do you hear me ?" I start panicking and feel my eyes watering but I try to fight the tears. My hands start to shake as I desperately try to bring him back, pressing his chest which is now covered with blood. "Harry, you can't leave me !" He doesn't move a muscle. I press the pads of my two fingers on his throat, looking for a pulse. I don't feel any one. Tears are now running down my cheeks and I start shaking and sobbing, trying to stay focused on saving him though. "Harry babe, please, I beg you, please hold on" I take his cheeks between my palms and bring my face towards him to press my lips against his. They're cold and soaked with my blood and my tears. "I love you Harry, you can't leave me." I sob "If I lose you, I lose everything. You are my everything". I'm shouting, despair and anger clear in my voice. My words and my sobs are echoing in the room. He can't be gone, I'm nothing without him. And so are the millions of fans and the band. "Harold please. I love you so much" I whisper desperately between two sobs through his hair, my forehead against his.

"This is all your fault"

I look up and see the psycho standing in the same exact position than before, her jaw clenched and her eyes filled with sadness and anger. I had forgotten she was standing there. "He died to save you. He died because of you"

"No... no, no, no... it's not true." I shake my head, lying to myself. I know this is my fault. This is all my fault. I'm just in denial because I can't accept that my love is dead because of me.

"Yes it is" Her gaze on mine sends a powerful dagger through my heart. I can't handle anything else right now.

"Go ahead, kill me. That's what you've always wanted anyway." I provoke her, my jaw clenched.  If the only way I can be with Harry is on the other side, then so be it.

"I love you Harry, see you up there" I whisper and press my lips one last time against his. I rest my head on his chest and close my eyes, ready to die. I hear the shot fire, and then nothing. It's over.