Chapter One

Finding Life

Part 2 • Lily

"...I will be seeing you again, on the other side..."

-Death, Master of the AfterLife

•••••••••••

There is an old legend that says a mysterious man in a suit and lilac tie shows up 24 hours before one's death. Many people have said that this legend is true, for maybe a friend of their's claimed of seeing this man
and then died soon after.

I've never believed in this because what man would be capable of doing such a thing? There could be thousands who are going to die in another 24 hours, so how could a man be able to see all of them, at once?

The stupidity of people really amazed me. Until now, that is.

The man stands behind me.

I'm looking in my mirror, getting ready for the day, and he has shown up, in my room, out of thin air.

I turn around quickly, expecting no one to be there. Maybe it's a trick my eyes are playing on me because of the way the light reflects on the mirror. Maybe my paranoia has caused him to be there.

No, the man is still there. He stands there with his body stiff and rigid. Not a single movement, that is until he smiles at me.

"Who the hell are you?" I scream, "Get out of my home!"

"I am Death." he simply states.

Unable to move, I stare at him. What the hell is going on? Is this some sort of sick prank?

I say cautiously, "Wh-Why are you here?"

What if he's here to kill me? What if he's going to kidnap me?

"To let you know that I will be seeing you again, on the other side, Lily," Death says, "You will come home."

After he says his last words, he vanishes, leaving me very confused. How did he even know my name?
What did he mean?

How the hell is he capable of vanishing into the air that way? I must be going crazy-hallucinating far-fetched nightmares.

Maybe the "other side" is the place I will go to after I die. Maybe he was trying to say that when I die and go to this place, I'll see him again. Does this mean that I'm doing to die?

The door bell rings. The shrill sound sends a shiver up my spine, since I'm not expecting anyone at 8 am.

I go downstairs and look through the peep hole. I can't see anyone in particular. Sighing, I open the door to see a man around my own age. His black hair is messy and his green eyes, like my own, glimmer in the sunlight.

"How can I help you?" I ask, nervously.

I really hope he's just trying to sell me something. I can get him to leave, if that.

"Um, well, I really don't know how to explain this," he says, "but it's a long story. Can I come in? I swear I'm no thief! I have to tell you something and it's urgent, please, Lily."

"Uhh," I start.

Without much thought, I slam the door shut. I don't know who this man is and I don't want to find out. What if he works for that other man?

"Please! Please let me in!" he yells and bangs on the door.

"Go away," I yell. "I'm not interested in whatever you have to say."