Chapter Three

Finding Life

Part 4 • Lily

"There are special people created to complete special jobs and you are one of those special people."

-Lilith, Lady in Waiting

••••••••••••

I bring up the spoon of cereal to my mouth, just as the loud noise of the doorbell resounds through the room. Sighing, I push back my chair, which ends up making an annoying creaking sound. I dash to the door and open it blindly.

People have got to stop coming to my door so early in the morning. Especially, if they're strangers, like the lady standing in front of me.

Her orchid lips are in a smile and her brown hair is up in a milkmaid braid. She's pretty, for sure.

"I'm Lilith," she says.

I ask, "Can I help you?"

"Yes, as a matter of fact you can," a loud, unknown voice says.

The man from yesterday appears-Death. Why the hell is he here again?

I raise my eyebrows in a questioning way. "How?"

"Come home with me," Death says.

Lilith nods her head.

Then, I remember Auridan's words, "When he asks you to go home with him, you have to go. If you don't, the balance of everything will be thrown off."

Auridan was probably speaking rubbish.

"Didn't your friend, Auridan, tell you that I would call the police if either one of you showed up again?" I ask.

"Sorry?" Death says. "Who did you meet?"

"That dude Auridan!" I say. "You guys should go. If you don't I'm calling the police. I'll probably get a restraining order too while I'm at it."

"Who's Auridan?" Lilith murmurs.

I groan. "He was telling me that I should go to the other side with you. But I won't."

"Love, it's crucial that you come with me. Come on," Death says. "Whatever Aurdian said I'm sure it's true."

"Leave," I say.

Auridan can't have known anything he told me. I can't fall for it.

These people are crazy.

"We need to go," Death says.

His coffee brown eyes soften for a second, before going back to their normal cold state. Death, I must admit, is very handsome. His dark hair-which resembled Auridan's, actually-is slightly messy. Death is tall, masculine, and yet all out terrifying.

"We need you to come with us to the AfterLife," Lilith says.

"AfterLife?" I scream.

I don't care if the neighbors hear me. Death lives in the AfterLife? A place like that actually exists?

"Yes," Death says, "The AfterLife exists. It's where souls go to after death. Lilith is a soul."

"And you live there?" I ask, my eyes wide.

Death slowly nods his head. "I do. The AfterLife is a very nice place, well, at least half of it. I will answer all your questions when we get home."