Chapter Thirty-Four

Finding Life

Part 35 • Death

"You- you can see me?"

–Thanatos, God of Death

••••••••••••••

February 22, 1864
Pennsylvania, United States

Oh, God, please help her. Please help both of them. I don't know what to say to Esmé. She's laying in bed crying her heart out.

Neither of us expected this. Sure, there are complications with birth. We knew that; the doctor told us that. Hell, Esmé's sister's neighbor had a baby with two different coloured eyes. Esmé's sister calls it the Devil, but I call it science.

Esmé and I didn't expect it to happen to us. To our baby. Our little bird was born dead. The doctor delivering my baby called her a stillborn.

"Esmé," I say, "It's not your fault. You couldn't have done anything to stop it. This was fate being a bitch."

Esmé whimpers but doesn't speak. I cup her cheeks with my hands. I make sure she's looking at me while I wipe her tears.

"We have to be strong," I say, biting my lips.

I can't cry. I want to; hell, this is hard. Fate was a bitch to us; God is being tough on us. I have to stay strong for Esmé.

She shakes her head.

"No."

"Darling," I say, "You cannot blame yourself for what happened to our little bird. This was destined."

"I– I wish it– it could ha-have been diff-different," Esmé says.

"Me too," I whisper.

I stroke her hair, trying to calm her. I bite my lips harder and feel the metallic taste of blood.

I stare at our stillborn baby. The doctor and nurses left Esmé and I alone with the baby. I don't know why he did that. It's probably making Esmé cry harder.

Out of nowhere, a man appears. Just like that–out of thin air. He wasn't here a second ago, in fact, the door didn't even open.

"Who the hell are you?" I ask, in shock.

Esmé stops crying. She stares at the man. He's wearing all black and he has wings sprouting from his back. Wings! He's an Angel from Heaven!

"Sebastian," Esmé whispers.

"You- you can see me?" the man asks.

Esmé and I nod. I don't know how to react. If he really is from Heaven, maybe he can save our daughter and give her another chance at life.

"Odd," he mutters.

"Well, who are you?" I ask again.

"Are you an Angel?" Esmé says.

"Sure," he says, "You can call me that. But, my name is Thanatos."

"You're not in the bible," Esmé says.

Thanatos smirks. What is he doing? What game is he playing?

"That is true," Thanatos says.

"What are you here for? If you truly are an Angel, then surely you can bring our daughter back to life," I say.

"Alas," Thanatos sighs. "That is not why I'm here, Sebastian. I am here to collect her soul."

"She is but a babe," Esmé says.

"They have the purest of souls. I can assure you she'll make it to Heaven immediately."

Maybe he is telling the truth. Maybe Thanatos is an Angel. He did know my name.

Thanatos waves his hand and my little bird's soul is lifted out of her body. Her soul isn't of a baby, but of a young girl. Maybe five years of age. Is this what my daughter would have looked like, had she not died?

Her hair is the same color as Esmé's. In fact, she looks just like Esmé. But, she has my dark eyes. That's what stands out against her pale features.

"You'll make sure she's safe?" Esmé asks.

"Of course," Thanatos nods.

He whispers to my daughter, but I can't hear him. I wonder if she can even understand his words.

Thanatos turns around and faces Esmé and I.

"I wasn't expecting either one of you to be able to see me. I guess you two are special," Thanatos says, "But I'm sorry. I'll have to take away your memories of this."

In an instant he's gone and Esmé's crying again.

••••••••••••

Short chapter, but I might double update today! Please vote and comment! Thank you xx