Chapter Twenty

Finding Life

Part 21 • Death

"She became thirsty for bloodlust; Audrianne loved what she was doing to the innocents."

—Sapphire Anderson, the Queen of the Dark Side

•••••••••

I run into court, pushing away the grey souls, as I try to get to Edith's booth. As I come closer, Edith looks up as if she sensed me being here. She glares at me, her brown eyes showing her annoyance through her glasses.

"Where were you?" Edith asks.

"I slept in," I answer.

"Oh, God!" Edith says, slamming her hand onto her forehead in annoyance, "Death, you don't need to sleep—I can't believe you!"

"I'm here now, so what happened?" I ask.

"There have been to-be Angels going into the Dark Side rather than the White Side," Edith whispers.

"Why would they do that?" I ask, "The three of you have been telling them where to go, right?"

"Of course we are!" Edith exclaims. "When the souls go to the gate, for some reason, they go on the line that goes to the Dark Side. They went to Empire."

"How many went there?" I ask.

"One girl and one boy so far," she says.

"I'll go there and see what's happening," I say.

Edith nods and calls up a soul to evaluate. I decide to go to Sapphire, since she lives in Empire; Sapphire can help me find the lost souls. The darkness that comes with teleporting comes and goes and now I'm standing in Sapphire's living room.

"Hello, can you get Sapphire?" I ask the servant-lady, "Tell her Death's here."

The lady nods and rushes out of the room. In the meantime, I take a seat on the sofa and rummage through the infinite amount of copies Sapphire has of the "Deary" magazine.

"I didn't know you liked 'Deary' magazines," Sapphire's familiar voice says.

I look up and see her walking towards me; she takes a seat on the love seat.

"Just something to pass the time with," I answer.

Sapphire smiles. "What brings you here, today?"

"Edith told me that two to-be Angels came to Empire recently," I say, "I'm here to take them back to the White Side."

"Oh, those poor, lost souls," Sapphire says, "Let's go find them."

"But do you know where to start looking?" I ask.

"I'm aware of everything that goes on in my kingdom," she says, "I sensed something was wrong when I woke up this morning and the feeling has been annoying me since. Now I know what happened and where to look."

I nod. "Do you want me to teleport us there?"

"You wouldn't know where to teleport," Sapphire states, "We'll have to take the Taxi of Doom."

I groan, saying, "That thing is damnation."

"It's thrilling, for sure. Think of it as a ride in an amusement park," Sapphire says, smiling at me.

"I haven't been to an amusement park in ages," I reply.

Sapphire shrugs and whisks out her phone, assumingly calling Eœs, the Taxi of Doom's driver.