Chapter Thirty

Finding Life

Part 31 • Death

"I didn't– didn't do anything!"

—Death, God's Helper

•••••••••••••

I don't know what to do.

I can tell E.A.O everything. I can tell them that Lily is working for the Devil, that she and Florence may have kidnapped Queen Irene, that Lucifer is planning an uprising. Or, I can do nothing.

I'm not interesting in doing absolutely nothing. Lucifer might have my Queen and only God knows the unmentionable things he can do to her.

"That's it!" I scream to Destiny. "God knows exactly what's happening!"

He can tell me if Lily is really working with Lucifer.

Destiny just scrunches her nose and furrows her eyebrows. "Good luck with that."

"Okay, fine," I say, "That's probably not the best idea."

"I think you should tell E.A.O that Lily is working for the damn Devil," she says, "and that this Devil has got the Queen."

"We don't know who has Irene," I reply.

"That's why E.A.O needs to investigate, Death!" Destiny says.

I sigh. "Okay. Tell them."

"Won't you tell the Agents?" Destiny asks, stroking her blonde braid.

I shake my head. "Lucifer is in Hell. I'm going to go look for Irene there."

"Are you sure about that?" Destiny asks.

"Yes. I'm going," I say.

I close my eyes and imagine the only place in Hell I can imagine Lucifer being in.

•••••••••••••

The loud rush of a waterfall deafens my ears. I don't mind it; I'm positive Irene is around here. I look around Dark Falls and take in the breathtaking view. There's a grand waterfall somewhere deep within the land and there's lush plants everywhere.

It's a beautiful place to be. In front of me is Lucifer's home. I refrain from knocking on the door because that would be foolish. Instead, I try to push it open with the doorknob.

Surprisingly, the door is unlocked. I glide through the front door and into the hallways. I've never been to this house before and I don't have time to stare at the furniture. I whisk down to the basement and hope there are cells down there.

As soon as my left foot hits the bottom step, I can hear cries of pain. I don't know whether to go right or left; the cries seem to be coming from both sides of the hallway. I decide to go right.

These hallways have walls made of stone with several steel doors on both sides. I can't decipher if any of these rooms are occupied. The cries start to become less and less audible.

Am I going in the wrong direction?

I can barely see where I'm going due to the lack of light. I'm relying on my ears to guide me to Irene and they're telling me I've gone in the wrong direction.

I spin on my heel and run the other way. I can't afford to loose time. The more time I waste, the more time Irene is being tortured.

Now that I'm in a part of the basement I've never been in before, I slow down and listen. There's one steel door in particular that seems to be calling my name. Slowly, I walk closer and try to look through the little gap through the door.