Chapter Thirty-Six

Finding Life

Part 37 • Death

"It was raining diamonds."

—Liana Hespereeds

•••••••••••••

Alone.

Scared.

Tired.

Bored.

Restless.

I don't know how people survive this way. This is the true meaning of Hell– being trapped in a cage with nothing but yourself and your thoughts. In this moment I feel pity to anyone who has ever been caged— from prisoners to animals, I'm sure they know how I feel.

The last time I spoke to a another person was four days ago, when Agent Ashton Iris told me what I'm being charged for. At first, I was calm. Then, I was outraged.

How could Queen Irene accuse me of abusing her? I never did any such thing to anyone. I'm just Death, a being with powers too great for my own good. God will know what's going on. If only I can get to him, he can explain what's really happening and tell Irene that I am a good man.

I am a good man.

Someone is just trying to make it seem like I'm not. After all, Ashton did say I could have been framed. Maybe Lily framed me– no, Lily definitely framed me.

I should've known that this entire time Lily never cared for me. She never said 'I love you'. Lily cares for power, I'm sure; perhaps she's one of Lucifer's affairs.

The metal door creaks open. I look up from my little seat in the corner. Ashton's walking into my cell.

"Hello, Death," he says.

Ashton glides his hand through his blonde hair. Not really wanting to talk, I nod at him.

"There's been some new evidence on the case," Ashton says, "God came in to talk to Sir Bridgemore."

At this, I perk up. I raise an eyebrow at Ashton, wanting him to continue. Could God have told Owen that I have nothing to do with Lily's plan?

"He won't tell anyone what it is that God told him," Ashton says.

Great.

"God wants to keep the matter private at the moment."

"So? Is there any good news?" I ask.

"Afraid not," Ashton says, "But maybe whatever God said will help you out."

I'm sure God has no desire to help me out. He knows I'm in jail for no reason, yet he won't help me.

"Irene is scared for her life," Ashton adds, "Whatever happened to her has really taken a toll on her. Our top Agent, Violet Rayes, is her bodyguard."

"Really?" I say, "Irene was hurt that bad?"

Ashton nods. "I wonder what psycho would abuse our queen."

Lucifer can, and I've now learned that Lily can too.

"Do you think I have a chance of getting out of this mess?" I ask. "Do you think I'll be able to plead not guilty?"

"We're pulling out a lot of evidence, Death," Ashton says, "Nothing looks pretty. You can sure as hell plead not guilty, but I have no clue if the jury will believe you."

"What evidence could you have against me?" I ask. "I never saw Irene the day she was kidnapped or after. The last time I went to Hell, I was introducing Lily to Queen Audrianne and that was almost two months ago."

"So you have an alibi?" Ashton asks.

"Yes!" I say. "Destiny is my alibi. I was with her and she was the one who told me Irene was kidnapped. Before that, I was at home– my servants will tell you. Ask them. Ask the damn kitchen staff! They saw me in the morning!"

"I'll interrogate them."

"You have to," I say. "I'm innocent in this game Lily's playing."

"I'll have to go now, Death," Ashton says, "Owen wants to have a meeting about this case at noon to discuss the evidence. If I have eyewitnesses for you–"

"Then, go!"

Ashton jumps to his feet and races out of the cell. I've never seen an Agent run so fast before. With Ashton gone, I have nothing to do but think back on old memories. Sometimes, I remember good things; other times, my memories are nightmares. Horrors.

They're precious, but they cut me.

A diamond.

•••••••••••••••

Hespereeds, The Vėrge
April 17, 2012

"Liana, what are you doing?" I ask.

Young Liana Hespereeds is sitting on the floor of her grandmother's expensive carpet, playing with items that glisten from the light. Liana's sitting under a chandelier, and the peices in her hand look like a swirl of colors.

"They're diamonds, Death," Liana says, "It fell from the ceiling. You should have seen it. It was raining diamonds."

I look up and stare at the ceiling. The only thing that was there was a chandelier. I see.

"Those aren't diamonds," I say.

I bend down and sit on the floor beside Liana.

"Ouch!" she shrieks.

The 'diamond' created a small gash on her hand- right on her wrist. Liana's wrist starts to bleed instantly; the colorless blood of Devils flows out of her delicate wrist.

I grab a nearby cloth and place it over her wrist, putting pressure on the cut. The cloth soon becomes wet with Liana's Devil blood, but I don't mind it.

"That wasn't a diamond," I repeat.

I let Liana hold the cloth on her own and pick up the sharp peices. I get why she decided to play with it– the 'diamonds' are pretty and don't look deadly at all. Whoever shaped these fake diamonds for that chandelier has a way with his hands.

"What is it then?" Liana asks.

I look at her blue eyes. Her intense gaze seeks knowledge.

"Glass."

Beautiful, sharp glass.