Chapter Eight

Finding Life

Part 9 • Death

"Where are we going? Are we going to Heaven?"

-Virginia, Mother of One

•••••••••••••

Thanatos appears in my office, ready for the long day ahead. Today's a full on working day. With Florence taking Lily out to court, I don't have to worry about her.

Although, I did tell Lily that I would be the one to take her court. Sadly, I have to help Thanatos guide souls to the AfterLife today. It's my job, one that I've been doing for decades; I like what I do, plus, I don't want to upset God.

"Ready to kill?" Thanatos asks.

"Yup," I say, "Who's up first?"

"Eric Crimson," Thanatos says, "He's supposed to be murdered right now in Louisiana."

I nod. "Let's go."

Together we teleport to Eric Crimson's house. Thanatos spreads out his long, white wings in preparation for when Eric's soul leaves his body and sees us.

As of now, we're invisible.

In front of us, a blonde haired girl, who wears a leather jacket, has a knife in her hands as she walks towards Eric. Eric is backed up against the wall, fear written all over his face.

"Evelyn," Eric says, "What's going on? What are you doing?"

"Evelyn," Eric adds, "Stop playing games with me!"

Evelyn swings the knife at Eric, but he slips away, unharmed.

"Come back!" Evelyn screams.

Thanatos and I watch intently, grief and horror in my eyes. No matter how many times I've seen scenes like this happen before me, I still get terrified. It makes me feel guilty when I can do nothing but watch the person die.

Suddenly, Evelyn grabs Eric as he tries to leave the room. She drags him back to the middle of the room and pushes him onto the floor. He cries in pain as his body hits the floor.

She stabs him above the heart. Eric's crimson blood splatter over Evelyn's black leather. She doesn't mind, maybe she doesn't even notice it.

Eric chokes, "No."

"I'm so sorry, Eric, but this is revenge for Eva," Evelyn says, "She's dead because of you and so you will be too. Have a happy afterlife, darling."

Evelyn stabs him once more and Eric's eyes slowly shut close. She stands up and leaves the room, wiping the blood on her hands onto her jeans, leaving a crimson stain.

Eric's soul lifts out of his body and searches around until his eyes lay upon Thanatos and I. I get a good look at his soul and see that it looks exactly like his body. Sometimes, with older people, their souls look like their younger selves, rather than their current body.

Eric, however, still looks like his young body.

"Am I dead?" he asks.

Thanatos nods. "Yes, you are. I am here with Death to take you to the AfterLife."

"Will Eva be there?" He asks, slightly confused.

"She will," I smile, remembering the girl.

Eva, Eric's ex-girlfriend, killed herself when she found out she was pregnant with Eric's child. Edith and I evaluated Eva's life together and we gave her Hell.