Chapter Five

Finding Life

Part 6 • Lily

"When you transform to Life, you will feel celestial. Treasure those few minutes for it is the beginning of a new life. One that will last for eternity."

-Sapphire Anderson,
Queen of the Dark Side

•••••••••••

I take the diamond headband off my head; it pulls my hair and it stings, but I don't care. I want to take it off! I chuck the headband on top of my dresser. Instantly, I fall into the bed and flick the high heels off of my feet.

I sob as tears start streaming down my face. Death has ruined my life. He took me here and told me that I have to marry him. I've been whisked away from my life to marry a stranger.

And I can do nothing about it.

However, I will make use of Death and I's deal. I'll be able to leave him in two months. During the mean time, I'll do what he wants me to do. If that means I have to marry him, then I will do it.

I continue to cry.

After crying until no more tears came out, I get up to wash my face. I look in my bathroom mirror and see my mascara (or maybe my eyeliner, possibly both) dripping down my face. My eyelids are a golden, shimmery mess. My eyes themselves are red and swollen from crying.

What a mess I have made.

As I wash my makeup off, I suddenly think of my dead sister, Danae. Danae died almost a year ago when she was hit by a drunk driver. Perhaps she's still here, repaying her sins?

I walk out of my bedroom, after drying my face with a towel. I go to the door that joined my room to Death's. Florence mentioned earlier that this door exists and I remember cringing at her statement.

I open the door and luckily Death was there. He didn't seem to notice me come in.

Death had changed out of his suit and was wearing grey pajama bottoms and a white t-shirt. His lilac tie was carelessly thrown onto the floor. I'm still wearing my crimson dress, so it's now me who's overdressed.

"Death," I say, trying to grab his attention.

He turns around. "Yeah?"

He's still angry. Death had started to stop giving me a cold stare, but that is exactly what I'm receiving right now.

"My- my sister," I stutter. "She's
dead. I was just wondering if she's still here. Maybe I can meet her."

"What's her name?" Death asks.

"Danae Eastwood," I say.

Death says, "Oh, her. Danae is still here. She's one of Sapphire's ladies."

I laugh until I start crying again.
When I could finally stop laughing long enough to say something, I say, "Danae is a lady in waiting? I can't imagine that ever happening!"

Death just stares at me as if I'm crazy.

"Anyway," I say, "Who's Sapphire?"

"I was hoping to introduce you to Sapphire and Arianna Anderson tomorrow," Death says. "They are both Queens. We'll talk more tomorrow, hmm? You should go to sleep."

With that, Death gets in his bed and pulls the covers on top of him. So, I leave. When I'm at the door, the lights turn off and I'm left in the dark.

•••••••••••••••

I'm surrounded in darkness as Death teleports both of us to Sapphire's palace. Death claims that I'll be able to teleport by myself when I become Life. How cool would that be?

The darkness lifts and I'm standing inside Sapphire's living room. We sit down right when who I think is Sapphire enters the room.

"That's Sapphire," Death whispers, confirming what I thought.

Death already explained to me that Sapphire is a Devil and the Queen of the Dark Side of the AfterLife. The Dark Side is where all the souls that are destined to go to Hell stay while they repay their sins.

The other side of the AfterLife is known as the White Side, which Arianna, an Angel, rules. Arianna is Sapphire's older sister, by two years. Audrianne, another Devil, whom Death mentioned is the Queen of Hell, is Arianna's not so identical twin sister.

I'm still trying to adjust to this new information. Death is telling truth, that I can tell.

Sapphire sits down on the love seat opposite of us. I notice her features: dark curly hair, black eyes, red lips. A black, iron crown sits on top her head.

"Sapphire Anderson," she says, hand outstretched.

I shake her hand. "I'm Lily Eastwood. It's nice to meet you!"

Sapphire smiles. "I congratulate both of you on the up coming wedding."

"Thank you," Death says.

I nod my head in agreeance as I force a smile.

"Lily really wanted to meet Danae," Death says. "Turns out they're sisters!"

"Oh, really?" Sapphire says. "Of course! Someone find Danae!"

Sapphire spoke to the guards that were stationed through out the room.
One of them ran off, out of the living room. I can't believe my sister was here, living in such a grand castle.

"As we wait, I wanted to tell you something, Lily," Sapphire says, "When you transform to Life, you will feel celestial. Treasure those few minutes for it is the beginning of a new life. One that will last for eternity."

I nod my head. "I will."

I guess when I become Life I will be immortal like Death. Wouldn't that just be boring-being alive forever?

I have no time to dwell on the thought for Danae comes running into the room. Swiftly, I run up to her and we catch each other in an embrace.

Danae lets go of me first. "Lily! Oh, I thought it would be decades until I saw you again. How did you die?"

Danae looks like her usual self, but in a dress, which is abnormal for her. Her black hair is pin straight, the way she likes it; her brown eyes, the eyes that she hate, seem to be shining.

"I didn't die, Danae," I say as my smile falls.

Time to tell Danae about the future.

"Sit and I'll explain," I add.

Danae and I sit down and she gives me  a questioning look.

"I'm going to marry Death," I say while pointing to him.

Danae's eyes become wide. "What?"

I nod my head. "We're getting married in a week. You can come. I'm sure Sapphire and Death will allow it."

Sapphire nods her head. "Oh, of course! My whole court will attend!"

Death laughs at Sapphire's remark, but I didn't understand. What the hell does she mean by her "whole court"?

"Anyway," I say, "After the marriage, I'm supposed to become Life, this supernatural being that helps God."

Danae gasps. "Oh my gosh! You fell for Death!"

Her words sends a blush up my face.
Sapphire, on the other hand, laughs.

"Danae," I say, changing the subject, "You could be one of my bridesmaids."

"I would love to!" Danae says.

I didn't get to tell Danae how I didn't fall for Death or how I don't want to marry him. At noon, Death says that we must leave because Queen Arianna wants us over for lunch in the White Side.

••••••••••

I'm super excited for all my readers to get to know the three Queens. The next chapter is one of my favorites... Arianna's "Angel" daughter is in it...

VOTE IF YOU LIKED THIS CHAPTER! ♡