Chapter 3: A Little Game

I looked at the mirror and braided little pieces of copper colored hair before I placed it all in a bun. It turned out better than I thought. I gave myself the obvious model poses then it progressed to funny faces and I ended it with my head down on my vanity. This little moment was probably going to be the highlight of my day. Oh what a life I have.

Yesterday was different than most days. I even broke two rules yesterday just to get a taste of something I've never had, friendship. I might get caught by Mom and get into trouble. The thought of betraying mom like that hurts me I mean she has no one but me. I have simple rules to follow, but being the bad daughter I am I betrayed her. I can't lie though I enjoyed spending time with Nathan. He was kind and asked me questions about myself and it was fun to learn more about him. It's like I'm caught in the middle I want freedom and friendship, but I don't want to hurt my Mom in the process.

He probably didn't even mean it when he said that we should hang out again. I mean it was awkward at first and it was fun after a while, but that doesn't mean he liked me enough to be friend. He was more than likely never going to hang out with me again. You see people on t.v. who make the exact same promises and then just not do it. Why should this instance be any different?

I sighed as I stood up and made my way downstairs. It won't change anything if he doesn't speak to me again. I will just go back to my everyday schedule. Watching t.v. and waiting for mom and some snacking in between. I will soon forget about the chocolate haired boy and pretend he had never came into my life in the first place. I will just go about my way like I have always done.

I heard a knock at the door and my heart skipped a beat. Was it Mom? I was excited Mom said she'd be gone a week right? I ran to the door and opened it without thinking. To my surprise it was the chocolate haired boy, this time he had his camera.

"Hi?" I questioned if this was reality.

"Hi." he smiled down at his feet. "I was wondering if you wanted to hang?"

"Yeah." what was I saying am I breaking the rules again? What is wrong with me I'm not supposed to do this.

"Let's go to the park then." He was a bit more excited when I agreed.

I paused, I wasn't supposed to go past the porch. Even if I am starting to break rule I'm not ready for that. "I can't leave the home." I answered truthfully.

"That's fine we can hang here." He smiled so sweetly at me.

"Okay, do you want to come in?" Why am I doing this?

"Yeah!"

I showed him to the living room he sat on the couch and I sat in the lazy boy. I flipped on the t.v. it was sort of awkward. Is this what people who are friends do? but curiosity got to me.

"To tell you the truth I didn't think you'd come back to talk to me." I tried not to look at him but I did anyway.

"I enjoyed hanging out with you yesterday." He had his camera up to his face.

My hand flew up to cover my face. It was a late response and he still took the picture.

"Got chya." He laughed as he tried for another picture.

"Stop." I laughed as I kept my hand up over my face and tried to get him to stop. I didn't mind he was taking pictures of me but at the same time though I didn't want them taken.

"See you're an interesting person." He was laughing.

Confused I paused and brought my hand down from my face. Did he just say i was interesting? I'm not interesting I'm plain and boring. I've never been called interesting before. He smiled and clicked another picture of me. He stood up as I came towards him and he clicked more pictures of me. I reached for the camera, but he was taller than me. (Almost every ones taller than me it was nothing new.) I leaned forward and leaned on him and lost balance. We both toppled onto the couch, I was on top of the chocolate haired boy. I could feel my face turn red and I automatically jumped up off of him. I had never been so close to a boy before. I looked over to him and his face was also red.