Chapter 6: Selfie

Naomi took a seat next to me on the porch swing. She was dressed like a "bad girl" but honestly she's so extremely kind. You could see it through her cherry red smile. She wrapped her arm around mine and huddled close to me.

"By what Nathan says," She cuddled closer. "I think we're going to be really great friends." It was strange how close she was, Mom wasn't really ever this close to me. It was a weird feeling of being close, but I didn't reject it. Honestly I liked that she was so close.

"I hope so." I smiled at her a looked over at Nathan hoping my smile wasn't awkward looking. He could have at least told me more about Naomi. I know nothing about her, but she knows about me.

"You guys will." He smiled at us and began to play with Java again.

I looked over at Naomi and she smiled at me. "Wait a second." She let go of me and fished inside of her pocket. She eagerly played with her phone for a second. She wrapped her arm around me again and hovered it over our head. I looked up to see us on it.

"Give a smile." I smiled up at the phone. A click from the phone and our picture was taken.

"Now give us a goofy face." She was so excited. I didn't know what to do and just looked over to her to see her with the "duck face" thing going on with a peace sign by her face. I copied her. And heard another click from the phone.

"Come on Nathan join us!" she waved him over.

"No I take pictures." His face had a smiling I won't do it. "I don't get my picture taken.

"Aww, you know you want to take a picture with pretty girls." She stuck out her tongue. Nobody's ever called me pretty before. I sat in shock.

"Only one you is pretty, and it's not you." He stuck his tongue out at Naomi. I could feel my face become warm. Had he just called me pretty? My hands crept up to my face as I tried to hold the warmth in my face. It was the same feeling I had when he brushed my hair behind my ear. Was this actually what friendship felt like?

"You know I'm gorgeous." She nudged me and knocked me out of my private world. "Right Daisy."

"Uh," I looked over at her and it took me a couple of seconds to comprehend what she asked. "Of course you are." It was true she was extremely pretty, and no one could deny it. Except maybe Nathan.

"See I told you." She stuck out her tongue and the both began to do it to each other.

I giggled at the two of them. It was like watching children fight over who can give the sassier tongue stick out and who could do it the best. I paused for a second as I heard a faint ringing in the house. I jumped up and ran inside without hesitation. I nearly slipped on the rug, but I made it to the phone in time.

"Hello?" I heaved into the phone

"Daisy?" My mother's voice rang from the other end. "Why are you out a breath?"

"Oh," I can't tell her I was on the porch with Nathan and Naomi, "I was taking a nap on the couch when I heard the phone ringing. I didn't know if I was going to make it on time."

"Okay then." She responded. "I just wanted to check up on you."

"I'm fine." I was, but the panic of her finding out wasn't feeling too great as I turned to see Naomi and Nathan in the doorway. I placed my finger over my mouth and motioned for them to go to the living room. They soon backed out and headed to the living room.

"Okay gotta go bye." She quickly responded and hung up.

I exhaled deeply and laughed as I hung up the phone. I was so close for her to be suspicious. They were so close to me as I spoke to her. It wasn't even funny how panicked I felt. At the same time though it felt great. Mom was always keeping secrets from me. I should be able to keep some from her.

I walked into the living room to see the two sitting in there. "Sorry, I can't miss her calls." I exhaled in a laugh.