Chapter 5: Nice To Meet You

I waved Nathan over as I stood on the porch. Mom wasn't here the coast was clear for him to come over. He waved back and jogged his way over with the small dog following close behind. It was strange how comfortable I was with him. It's been a couple of months since the first time I broke the rules.

Even though it sounds exciting, nothing exciting ever really happens we just sit and talk, and play board games. It feels really good to do this with someone. Like what the people on t.v. do, they just hang out with their friends. Who knew my first friend would be a boy. Actually thought that my first friend would be a girl, but sometimes things don't go as planned. Even though I was terrified and paranoid at first letting him come over I wasn't now. It was strange that this secret wasn't as bad as I thought it would of been. Maybe Mom will understand once she sees how good of a person Nathan is.

"Daisy." He stood on the sidewalk with a huge smile on his face and like always his camera in his hands.

I leaned forward with my head on my hand "Hey." I waved and then pointed at the dog behind him. "Your friends looking pretty cute." Did I really say that? That was kind of bold. I cheerfully kneeled as the dog jumped on porch and ran towards me. He was a small black and white dog with a blue collar. I bent over and started petting him. He reminded me of my dog Kenny we had in Texas. I had gotten Kenny when I was 10, but when I was 13 Mom got rid of him because I had talked to someone while taking him on a walk. That was also the last time Mom had given me permission to get out of the yard. I pushed the rule breaking to the back of my mind. I'm more mature now, she'll understand that...Right?

"You're always so cuddly with Java." He hopped on the porch without using the steps.

"He's just so adorable." I sat on the floor and cuddled the small dog. He was enjoying all the attention that I was enjoying giving to it. Nathan sat on the porch and that had Java super excited as he paced to both me and Nathan. We sat there laughing and playing with Java.

" Hey, is it okay if a friend came over?" Nathan looked straight at me. I looked up and smiled trying to get the dog to stop licking the front of my face.

"Of course." I smiled. This wasn't me, was I always so bold? I've never had friends before. I don't know what I'm doing or if it's the right thing to do, but it feels right. If It feels right does it mean it's still right or not? Ugh life is so difficult.

"I didn't notice this before, but your hair is so long." Nathan swept a piece of hair behind my ear. My heart felt like it skipped a beat, and my face felt warm. What was this feeling? Is it part of friendship?

"Uh, Yeah." I nervously laughed. I didn't put my hair up at all today.It just laid down in a curly mess around my face and shoulders. It reaches my mid back and it makes it difficult sometimes to fix up, because of all the extra length not required for some hair styles.

"So, Daisy." Nathan now had Java laying in his lap petting him. The little dog must be exhausted now. "Are you going to school, or is your ordeal all the time?" He looked embarrassed like it was somehow wrong for him to ask. It was strange that we haven't talked about this before. He probably wanted to know since I haven't started at physical school yet.

"I'm home schooled." I answered leaning forward to give Java some attention. "Right now I'm a Junior?"

"Oh, so you're in the same grade as me." He was ecstatic for some reason.

" That's cool!" I exclaimed and the second later I realized I was to excited and pulled myself back. I don't want to be the weird girl they show as side characters on T.V. I looked at him and he was smiling still petting Java. He didn't seem to think that my outburst was weird.

"Yeah it's really cool." He responded smiling at me.

I looked down at my lap. "Yeah it is."

Java suddenly jumped out of Nathans lap and ran off the porch. I watched him as he ran to a blonde girl our age. She was wearing a plaid shirt with ripped skinny jeans. She bent down and petted Java. She looks so cool. She sort of had an essence to her that yells 'Rebel'.

"Naomi." Nathan called over to the girl she looked up at us and stopped petting the dog.

"Nathan." She waved her hand at us. and started to head over while Java closely followed. She hopped on the porch.

"Hey, Naomi this Daisy." He pointed at me and the pointed and Naomi. "Daisy this is Naomi."

Naomi held out her hand. "I've heard so much about you Daisy." She was really pretty.

"Hello." I shook her hand. "It's nice to meet you."