Chapter 24: Lookin Great Honey Buns

Mom was already gone and I had nothing to do. Ever since I started hanging out with Nathan and Naomi I've found things that I used to find entertaining to be boring. It wasn't like I hated doing those things now, but I think it's because I know I could be having a lot more fun. Today neither one of them could come until that night. It sucked when your friends had school and you've already finished your homework on Monday.

I laid on the bed and stared up at the ceiling. Nothing felt right in my life and I knew it. Nathan knew it. I also think that Mom knows it too. I wasn't my normal self. I'm filled with self awareness, fear and doubts. I had no way of fixing it and the only way to calm myself was to mindlessly watch T.V., but even then the doubts clouded up my mind.

I sat up and thought of the attic. The attic was where I found Grandma's diary's. The attic might be the place to find more things out. A place that maybe held even more than I thought. It did hold all the my grandmothers diaries, and I never expected to find them up there in the first place. Maybe it held more than that up there.

I slowly got up from bed and made my way up to the attic. I had no idea what I would find even if I found nothing it was still something to do. I couldn't just keep to myself wondering if something was up there.

It was uneventful as I didn't find anything new on leads. I did find year books of Moms and brought them to my room. I wondered how she look in high school. I never really saw any young pictures of her.

I skimmed through the year books, and tried to point out Mom and she was the same back then as she was now. Her hair was a little different as it was shorter, but it wasn't much different.

She didn't have much written in her yearbooks, but there was quit a few from a girl name Natalia. She circled and drew hearts around pictures of Mom and wrote things like Natalia's best friend, or things like lookin great honey buns with her name underneath. There were also various other writings in the yearbooks with the same hand writing around other pictures.

It didn't take long to find Natalia as she was also graffitied around with hearts and flowers with Best Friend written beside it. She had light colored hair that went past her shoulder, her face was covered in freckles and honestly was fairly pretty. I paused as I realized Natalia's last name was Rutherford. That was the same last name that Naomi had. I was possibly Naomi's cousin, her father's sister was my possible mother. My thoughts began to spin.

This woman could possibly be my actual mother and it never hit me that Mom knew her. She had taken her best friends baby. But why? Why take your best friends child from her. More thoughts spun in my head as I wondered how their relationship went. This also made me realize my father may also be in the year book.

I looked for men with the last name Oaks. There wasn't any Oaks in their grade, but in the grade above them was a Greg Oaks. He was what the typical jock would look like nice hair, nice smile, and a thing that caught me about his smile was that his teeth were similar to mine. We both had peg teeth beside our two front teeth.

I spent hours looking at the picture of Natalia and the possible picture of the man, Greg, I think was probably my father. They looked like an ideal couple in the senior yearbook they even won Best Couple. I tried picking out similarities between me and them. I noticed I had her nose and eyes, and that I had his lips.

Looking at them slightly satisfied me. I had wondered for a while what they looked like, and I assume much like Mom they probably didn't change much either. I imagined them older with more wrinkles and more adult like clothes. In my mind they seemed well to do, but in reality i knew that I had no idea if they were or not.

I jumped at the sound of Nathan knocking on the window. I was so zoned out that I had forgotten that Nathan was coming over. I placed the yearbooks under my bed.

"You know you could of used the front door." I joked with him.

"But that's not very Prince like is it." He smiled back. I loved that about him.

We settled ourselves on the bed and something seemed off about him. He was quiet and seemed somewhat nervous. I didn't feel that today was any different and could tell something was bothering him.

"What's wrong?" I asked as I watched him twirled his thumbs.

"Your Mom saw me yesterday when I was sneaking out." He looked over at me with wide eyes. I looked over at him with shock to. She had never mentioned seeing him. That fact had scared me. "I told her I was cutting across the yard from Stevie's house."

"Really?" I felt a twinge of relief. "She believed it?"

"I think she did, she just told me that it was dangerous to be cutting through yards so late."

"Jesus." I laughed leaning back from my bed. It was strange how fast your heart can beat from a few simple words.

"Yeah, you got me I thought I was going to have a heart attack." He leaned back and laughed with me,"But seriously we have to be more careful."

"Yeah." I responded turning over to look at him, "But it'll all be okay."

AN: Sorry for such a long wait. Honestly the story will be ending soon in a couple of chapters and it may seemed rushed because I've no idea what to do for the filler chapters. I can't just jump to the end out of nowhere. So if the ending seems rushed I'm sorry. Also I will be rewriting this story in the future.