Chapter 10: Be Cool

I looked over at my mother as she ate her cereal while reading one of her books. She was already dressed up and ready for work. She had a flight to make today. I had helped with make up and and her hair. When I was helping I had started to regret hoping that she would leave today. I never liked seeing Mom leave, I feel like I never get to spend much time with her. Now that it was getting closer to her leaving I was feeling terrible about

"Do you have to leave so soon?" whined pushing around the last bits of Choco balls in the once white milk that was now chocolate.

"Yes Daisy, I have to work you know." She sounded a bit irritated. It was probably because I ask her the same question every time she leaves.

"I know." I responded.

There was an awkward silence I focused on my bowl and once and a while would glance up at Mom. She was eating and then began to slurp down the last of her milk till the very last of it was gone. After she was done she gave out a slight sigh.

"I'm going to leave now." She raised herself from the table and leaned over to kiss my on my forehead. It was nice. I smiled as I watched Mom pick u her empty bowl and spoon and brought it over to the sink. Even though my chocolate milk and a few stray pieces of cereal were left in mine I followed and placed mine in the sink. We stood there smiling and she wrapped her arms around me. They were so nice, so warm. I don't want her to stop, but she released me.

"I placed 13 bucks in the envelope." My gaze followed to where her finger was pointed. On the cabinet laid the takeout envelope.

"Thanks." I looked back at her.

She began her journey to the front door. Her bag was already there waiting for her take it on another adventure. I wondered where she's going this time. Was it somewhere in the States? Or was it in a foreign country? Was sh even going to work? I had stopped asking her where she was going a long time ago. It was because I had begun to day dream of being at these places with her. The result only made me feel even lonelier. So the surprise of hearing about it made me less lonely and that I was actually on the trip with her.

She grabbed the bag and headed out the door. I stood in the doorway watching her bring her suitcase to the car and putting it in the back seat.

"Have a safe trip!" I screamed out to her.

"You be safe to honey!" She turned to wave back at me.

"Love you."

"Love you too." She screamed getting into the car.

I lingered in the doorway and stayed to watch as she drove off down the street. It was painful to see her go. I had saw something in the corner of my eye and I went from looking down the street to looking across the street at the strange boy who kissed me only the night before. I could feel my face warm up and my hands automatically went up to it. He started heading his way over. The first thing that came to jumbled into my mind was confusion and panicking. Neither was comforting

Wait, what am I supposed to do? How was I supposed to greet him? Am I supposed to act normal Are we supposed to talk about it? Or are we even going to talk about it? These thoughts quickly ran through my mind. None of them had a solid answer either. I searched around the porch hoping for an answer as every step he made cause him to come closer and closer. I thought of what anyone else would do. I found the answer remembering what Janice Fox gave on 'Drag Queens of Fashion' about how to be around the one you like. Her answer was "Just be cool and relaxed." That's what I needed to be was cool.

I paused and quickly closed the door and leaned against it with my arms crossed. This looked cool right? Was leaning up against it to casual, was it casual enough? I waited for him to reach the porch, hoping he wouldn't notice how had my heart was beating.

"Hey Daisy." His smile was so bright.

"Yo." I paused in realization that I had just did the opposite of acting cool. I just embarrassed myself in front of the boy liked. I stood up straight and covered my face. Oh Jebus. I never say yo to anyone. Why did I say it then?

"That was adorable." Nathan gave a slight giggle.

I peaked through my fingers to see him standing there. He didn't seem to be making fun of my embarrassment. Did he actually think it was adorable? I covered my face completely again with only the reds of my hands in sight.

"I was trying to be cool." I responded.

"Oh, then you were cool and adorable." I could feel that he was closer. He was also blocking the sun and now the red from my hands were less noticeable.

"You sure?" I peaked through my fingers again. I could see the subtle outline of him. He was only standing just a bit in front of me.

"I'm sure." His response sounded so sweet.

I lowered my hands and looked at the boy who stood in front of me. He was smiling so bright and I smiled back We stood there in silence for a few seconds before he began to bring his camera up and point it at me.

" You're the coolest Daisy." He pressed his finger down on a button on the top. I knew the clicking sound was the cue that the picture had been taken.

A/N: I know my chapters aren't very long or fulfilling it's all I can offer for right now because I have school and work. Don't forget to vote and comment if you like it. Have a great day!