Chapter 4: Let The Spy Games Begin

I felt a familiar hand sweeping my hair. I turned over to see Mom sitting on my the bed next to me."Hey sweetie." She continued petting my hair. It was so peaceful these little moments would make my whole day better.

"Hi, Mom." I mumbled. I only had my eyes half open they were so heavy.

"I wanted you to know I was home." She gave me a kiss on my forehead. It was so warm so nice, she was finally home. I felt the weight on the bed leave and heard the door close. I drifted back to sleep.

I woke up to the alarm blaring. I ran to mom's bedroom and checked in her room, she wasn't there. The twinge of disappointment didn't feel nice. I questioned if that was just part of a dream last night. If Mom had been home she would still be sleeping. She was normally tired after arriving back home.

I grudged my way downstairs and that's when it hit me. It was the smell of bacon. I rushed to the kitchen to see mom in front of the stove cooking bacon. I came up and hugged her. She jumped and turned to hug me back. It was real she was back home. I lingered there for a few seconds and went and sat down at the table.

I always liked watching mom cook it was somehow relaxing. It's probably because I don't see her cook often enough since she's always gone. She wasn't the best cook in the world, but her cooking was the best to me. Even when it would taste awful I would eat it in happy little gulps, because I didn't want mom to feel bad when she took time out of her busy schedule to cook for me.

The room was silent except for mom humming. I wasn't sure what the song it was, but it was somewhat familiar to me. I just sat there and took in this small moment. It was nice and calming for me. I put my head on my hands and watched Mom's back. She was a tiny woman both height and weight wise. The skin that peaked from her clothing was tan. Her dark brown hair reached her shoulders only because it was currently in a ponytail. I pulled a piece of hair into my view. My red hair was bright compared to Mom's it was strange that such a naturally dark haired tan woman gave birth to this pale redheaded girl.

Mom was finished with breakfast and brought me over a plate of bacon and eggs. I smiled and thanked her and she gave me back a bright smile. "Couldn't sleep?" I questioned her. She looked somewhat tired.

"Yeah , I had so much energy by the time I got home." She popped her egg and dipped her bread in it. I cringed those types of eggs always seemed awful to me. I never ate sunny side eggs and preferred my scrambled eggs.

We ate our breakfast and Mom bragged about her trip to Minnesota. I just listened, she always came back with such stories. Sometimes I doubted they were real, but they were exciting nonetheless. I felt a twinge in my chest as I remembered Nathan and how I broke two rules.

"So, did anything happen." She finally turned the conversation to me. She knew the answer, but it was nice she asked.

" Only thing that happened was that on Complicated, Bay Newton guest stared." I shoved a piece of bacon in my mouth and looked down at my plate. It wasn't entirely a lie, I mean he did. Mom doesn't need to know about Nathan.

"Oh I saw that in the hotel." She smiled brightly.

We finished in breakfast and Mom headed upstairs for a nap. I stood in front of the door. I looked at the mirror that stood by it and began to braid my hair to the side. I inhaled deeply as I opened the door and sat on the porch steps.

Nathan was already outside in his yard. He waved at me and I waved back. He noticed the sign that mom was home. He gave me a thumbs up and brought the camera up and faced it at me. I spent a about an hour outside watching him, even though we weren't close it was like we were. It was comforting to watch the chocolate haired boy take pictures from afar. I was starting to like our secret and hoped that it won't be found out.

I came back in and she was still upstairs in bed. Even though I wanted her to spend some time with me and maybe watch T.V. I couldn't wake her. She was tired and needed rest and I couldn't wake her up because I felt needed. I sat on the couch and flipped on the T.V. and began to watch previously recorded shows.

Mom didn't come down till about 7. I offered to play a game with her, but she wasn't in the mood. We both mindlessly watched T.V. and I headed up to mu room at about 9. It was nice with er around, but it was also lonely when she hardly speaks when she is.

It was about 11 when Mom rushed into my room. I wasn't quit asleep yet and was confused that Mom was coming in. She had her suitcase behind her and her makeup and hair was already all did up. She came over and sat on my bed

"What are you doing Mom?" I questioned her reasons to look like she was going out.

"I'm sorry Honey." She turned to me and kissed my forehead. "I'm going to have to go back to work."

" Why?" I whined, "You've just come home today!"

"Don't question me young lady." Her voice was stern and annoyed. I didn't want her mad at me.

"Okay." I pouted, "How long is it going to be?" I couldn't look her in face I knew the answer wasn't going to be good either way

" I don't know Honey." The words were easy for her to say, but they were hard for me to hear.

" Okay Bye Mom." I looked up at her. "I love you Mom."

"Love you to." She kissed me again and patted my head before leaving the room. I watched her car leave from my window. Was she really going back to work? It felt like one of those times she was lying to me and it hurt. I don't like being alone.

----------------------

AUTHOR NOTE:

This was more of a filler chapter to show how much time Daisy's mother spends away from home.

Edit: Dedicated this chapter to @KemyLovee for all the lovely comments and votes, so go check out their works!