Chapter 17

Lauren's POV

            "Okay, I know what time it is, but I just have one question."

            "Mm, what," Lauren muttered, responding to Camila's random question. It was still the middle of the night because she didn't detect brightness trying to seep through her eyelids. A part of her wanted to know why her wife was up at ungodly hours asking questions that couldn't wait until morning but she figured it was best to just answer whatever stupid question she had so she could go back to sleep.

            "Will this affect my uterus?"

            Well that sure as shit caught her attention. She cracked her eyes open and then opened them as far as they would go since there was no threat of the bright attack of daylight. But she did detect a subtle light coming from Camila's closet. Or a random hole in the wall, she couldn't tell the difference either way.

            "And they would be okay right? I'm not an accidental murderer?"

            Lauren sat up and frowned in the direction of the light.

            "Okay, thank you. I'm sorry to have woken you up Dr. Barba. Have a good rest of your night."

            Alright, she was talking to her gynecologist at—she looked at the pale blue glow of the iHome clock on Camila's nightstand—three in the morning. She wanted to acknowledge that strange occurrence, but she chose not to. She dropped her head ungracefully back onto the pillow and ignored the loose strands of hair tickling her nose. She was too tired to deal with them. She was on the brink of sleep, and then she heard soft whimpering coming from somewhere in the room. It was either her or Camila, and she wasn't crying, so it was obvious that something was wrong with her wife.

            She sat up and tossed the sheets off her, moving like she wasn't almost dead just a few seconds ago to go to her wife in distress. She stubbed her toe on the corner of the ottoman at the end of their bed but she brushed it off and got to the closet. "Camz?" she called out to her wife who was sitting against the far wall with her knees clutched to her stomach and tears steadily streaming down her face.

            She dropped to her knees in front of the smaller woman and cradled her face in her hands. "Camz, baby, what's wrong?"

            "I-I'm-I'm a horrible person," she said quietly and the tears continued to fall.

            "What? No you're not, you're an amazing person. What are you talking about?"

            "I drank last night, Lo. I drank when I'm supposed to be trying to get pregnant."

            "Is that why you were calling Dr. Barba?" She nodded and Lauren attempted to wipe the tears on her cheeks away but they just kept falling. "What did he say?"

            "He said it wasn't enough to have made any lasting impact."

            "That's great then. If you are pregnant then everything is okay."

            "But Lauren, I still did it. I went out last night and had fun with my friends and I didn't even think twice about it. What if-what if I'm not ready? What if I just got carried away with our friends having kids and I didn't even stop to consider whether I was ready or not."

            Camila was full on crying now and Lauren had no idea what to do. She sat down with her back to the wall and she pulled Camila into her lap. She allowed the younger girl to cry into her neck and clutch onto her shirt and she just rubbed her back soothingly and kissed the side of her head.