∞CHAPTER TWENTY SIX∞

"What do you mean it's not there anymore?" I stop dead in my tracks.

"It's gone, no longer present, doesn't exist anymore," From his voice I know Nate isn't joking.

"How could that be possible? Are you sure you were in the right place? You may have forgotten where it was?"

"No, Aria, I didn't. I'll prove it. Go where you remember it to be, and I swear it won't be there."

"Okay," I knot my eyebrows. I walk with Nate's hand still on my arm all the way to the doorway we came in from the train station. "See, it's here!"

"Open the door," he instructs.

I open it, and a concrete wall it all that is left. "What..."

"I know."

I look up at Nate. "How is that possible? People have been eliminated. They have to have some way home!"

"More confusing that that though," Nate gives the wall a thoughtful look, "Why would they completely block off a perfectly fine train station? What would be the purpose of keeping us away from a means of escape?"

"Prisoners..." I whisper.

"Hey," He turns me towards him and puts both hands on my shoulders. "It's probably nothing. They probably are moving it, or have a more advanced way of travel to use," His voice is steady, but his eyes give away the doubt he has.

"You don't believe that, do you?" I ask.

Nate stares into my eyes for a long time before answering. "I don't know what I believe, but I know what I want to believe, and I think I'll go with that for now."

Suddenly, a wave of irrational guilt comes over me. "I was hanging out with Shaun this morning," I say.

"Oh," is all he says in reply.

"It wasn't very fun."

"Oh?" He looks hopeful.

"I think that was my fault though. I couldn't pay attention to anything, too distracted."

"By?"

It takes me a minute to answer, because before I wasn't sure exactly what it was; but now I'm pretty sure I know. "You, I think."

"Really?" He grins. "What about me exactly?"

I laugh nervously, and open my mouth to answer when, "Anyone not in a skills or educational class please come for another Simulation. Those of you that are in a class will be asked to come in one hour. I repeat, anyone not currently in a class come for another Simulation."

"Ah well, I guess that's us!" I exclaim, glad for the interruption.

"I guess so," Nate looks disappointed. "I have to grab something before I go, so I guess I'll see you after."

"Okay," I smile. "Bye."

He starts to walk away, but stops and turns around. "Aria! Wait just a second."

"Sure, what is-" My question is cut short by Nate pulling me into a hug. "Have a good day, okay?"

"I will," I smile again. "Bye Ninja," I say, remembering the nickname I gave him.

Nate blushes smiles back. "Thought you had forgot about that."

"Never."

**********

The room is pitch black. I can't even see my hand when I hold it in front of my face. It's cold, almost as if I'm in a basement. I kneel down and touch the ground. Concrete. "Where am I?" I call out into the darkness.