∞CHAPTER THIRTY∞

We're all led to a room that has smaller room leading off of it which all greatly resemble operating rooms.

"Okay, kinda freaked out right now to be honest," the girl behind me whispers.

I nod in reply, whether she was talking to me or not.

"We have nine rooms, so only nine at a time. Who wants to go first?" A scientist asks.

A few raise their hands, but many decide to wait until the next round.

"Me," I say aloud while my hand shoots up.

"Good! Enthusiasm! Okay, you, and you, you as well, umm..." They point out who, they've chosen.

They ask for the first nine, which now includes me, to walk up to the front.

"Are you ready?" CeCe comes up to us and asks worriedly.

"As I'll ever be..."

Nine scientists take each of us to a separate room. We share nervous looks with each other, but walk in anyway. Inside, I see two other scientists, or possibly doctors.

"How're you feeling sweetie?" A petite woman smiles.

"I'm okay," I squeak. Looking down at my hands I see them trembling.

"You're going to be fine," she pick up my arms. "I need to put in an IV and some other things. Okay?"

I nod and squeeze my eyes tightly shut. I wince as the needle goes into my vein through my arm.

"I know, it hurts. Only a few more."

"Okay," I open my eyes. The next two don't hurt as much, but the last one does. "Oh!" I gasp.

"Shhh, it's done. Can you lie down on the table?"

"Y-Yeah, I can."

"Goodnight sweetie, see you in a few hours," she slowly sets a mask over my face.

"W-wait... What are..."

"Good luck."

***************

Shallow breathing. A steady beating rhythm. I open my eyes to see a shiny white ceiling with those big, dreadfully bright ceiling lights. I shift my view to the side and focus on the beeping monitors. Heartbeat, breathing, brain waves.

My mouth feels dry, like I haven't had water in years. I try to lift my arms, but they don't move. At first I think it's from weakness, but then see heavy straps wrapped around them. I try to pull free, even though it hurts and chafes

"Woah, woah, woah, stop that!" A pretty voice gasps.

I look around to see where it's coming from, but before I can focus on her, she touches my hand. "How are you feeling?" It's the same scientist from before.

"I'm hurting," I whisper.

"I know. But you're alive and seemingly healthy."

"Why wouldn't I be..."

"Just, you're lucky. Okay?"

"No, why wouldn't I be alive?" I demand.

"Some aren't."

"What?" I pale.

"Just rest, I'll tell you more soon."

"I'm not tired," I try to sit up.

"No. I'll let you sit up in an hour. You need to rest. So far you're one of the healthiest," she walks away.

"Wait, please don't leave!" I call after her.