∞CHAPTER FORTY ONE∞

"What do we do?" I yell at Anna, even though she's right beside me.

"We get to those doors and we get people out."

"They're all standing around the front doors, and the back one is locked with no was to get to it at the moment."

"Then we find a way!" Anna hold out her arms, making the gun belonging to the soldier in front of us fly towards the ground.

"Oh, no, okay not expected!" Bree screeches as one of the Chosen doubles in size. "He's like the opposite of Cara!"

Erik and Jason go at the giant at the same time, sending him into a convulsing, burning mess. He goes back to his normal human size within two minutes. Meanwhile, I watch Jen fill the lungs of another soldier with heavy black smoke.

Is this what happens when people are threatened? Do we all just turn into ruthless monsters, fighting back in the same way the enemy fights? Sure we're the good guys, but what about their families? I don't want to die. I would rather they all died than us. Yet, it doesn't feel right. It feels so inhuman.

A few of the chosen just carry guns or knives like the soldiers, because their abilities aren't of use now. I know of some of them that wouldn't be helpful now. That one with the ability to see emotions, or the girl who can see in the dark. Theres the guy whos got incredible hearing, like he probably knew we were coming when we were a mile away. Where is he? I look around. Oh, he's dead. There was also someone who could breathe underwater. That definitely wouldn't help right now. Or the guy with X-ray vision...

Looking over, I see that something previously blocking the way to the back entrance was removed. Or destroyed. Either way, I can go inside and get people out of there. I can skip the fighting.

I run towards it as fast as I can, dodging anything in my way the best I can. Everytime I see someone reach behind them, into their pockets or jacket a feeling of utter terror runs through me. A gun is small, it can be kept in the palm of a hand. It could be hidden anywhere. Why can't they be the size they used to be? Nothing comes my way though, that is until I'm about a bus's length distance away from the building.

"Hey, not so fast!" A boy jumps up behind me.

"Oh, I will go fast," I turn around and start walking backwards. "I'm trying to save people."

"But they'll be okay." He frowns. "They said they're going to be fine."

"They lied."

"No! I can't... I can't afford to believe that this is for anything but good!" His red hair is streaked with blood, and I don't think it's his.

"Yes you can," I say quietly as I stop walking. "Come on, help me let them out. It will be okay."

"I can't." A tear slips down his cheek.

"It's okay to be scared." I start walking backwards again, feeling uneasy by his unstable mood.

"I don't want to be scared!" He yells at me, focusing his attention at my head. And then it starts to ache, and burn, and it feels like my brain is literally melting.

"What did you do?" I whisper, trembling. "What is this?"

"That's why my fear feels like. I'm afraid to hurt people and I'm afraid not to."

"Am I dying?" I ask pitifully.

"I don't know." With that, he leaves me, crouched over by the edge of the building, just a few feet from the entrance. Just a few feet.

This is worse than the pain from the memory implants, and I thought that would kill me. No, I can't stay here waiting for someone to see me and kill me. I need to get in there and save people.