∞CHAPTER FORTY TWO∞

Melody and I made it to the end of the hallway and into the first door. Chosen, eliminated chosen, are everywhere. And this room doesn't even have half of them. Looking closer at what they are laying inside, I see that this isn't going to be as easy as I thought. Monitors, wires, and tubes go everywhere through the liquid, or whatever it is that they're floating in, and a panel of buttons covers one side.

"Okay." Melody scoots closer to me. "This is scary."

"They're, they're just laying there. It's not scary," I whisper.

"They look like corpses, Ari. Like we're standing in a glass graveyard." She shivers.

"Shut up," I plead. "You're freaking me out."

"S-sorry. But it's true."

"Let's just figure out how to get them out without killing them." I give her a thin lipped smile and squeeze her shoulders.

"Just open it!" She exclaims, grabbing the latch. "That's all!"

"No, Melody!" I yell at her, but it's too late. She cover pops open and the monitors go crazy. A loud beeping goes off from a place in the wall. I run over to turn it off, I don't want it alerting anyone that we're here. Soon after, the EEG and the EKG both flatline, showing that the Chosen boy laying in front of us is dead. No heartbeat, no brain waves.

"D- did I just kill him?" Her eyes go wide. "Is he dead? ARIA, DID I KILL HIM?"

"Yes." I nod. "You did."

"Oh my gosh. No, no Aria I can't do this." She starts to back away.

"Melody!" I put my hands on my hips. "Where are you going?"

"I can't kill them!"

"We're trying to help them!"

"No, no no I'm not going to be responsible for this."

"If you leave you're responsible for every single one of them who doesn't get out of here." I stand my ground and stare her down.

"No, I'm not staying for this!" She throws her hands into the air and runs out the door to the hallway.

"MELODY!" I scream after her, but she doesn't stop. The liquid around the now dead boy fades to a clear colour. I guess we know now why it's coloured. Well, I guess I know now.

"Okay, okay okay." I run my fingers through my hair and let out deep shaky breaths. "I got this."

No one is here to help me now, it's all up to me. I won't know if my friends are alive or not until I leave, and I can't leave until I save the eliminated. And if I leave with them and my friends are all dead, then we lost. And then there's no way I can get the eliminated out of here alive. And if I don't get out alive... No one will know what's about to happen to the world. Basically, I'm a blind girl trying to win a war.

"I'm so sorry." I run a hand over the case where the dead Chosen boy lies. "So, so sorry." Taking a deep breath, I move onto the next case, containing a girl.

This time I bend down and run my hand over all the buttons, dials, and monitors, reading the words on each one. Frustrated, I sit down on the floor cross legged in front of it. Deciding to try something, I grab the dial controlling oxygen and slowly turn it off. The girl's chest stops rising and falling for a few seconds, but then she begins to breathe on her own. Whatever the stuff she's laying in is, it's breathable. On the side of each case is a first name. Her name was —her name is— Paige.

"Good job hun," I whisper to the possibly comatose Thirteen. "Now, just stay alive for this next part too."

I figure out how to do it, and then finally I can open the case. When it opens, nothing pours out. It stays as if the cover was still down. I reach for it, and gasp when my hand goes inside. It's air, it's nothing. It must be a gas? But the Chosen girl is still floating.

"Hey, wake up." I tap her shoulder. Nothing happens. I lean over and pick her up, and as soon as she's out of the gas she wakes up.

"Where am I?" She begins to freak out. "Is this a sim?"

"No, it's okay. But this might come as a shock..." I tell her everything. Everything. By the time i'm done she's shaking with fear.

"These memories are fake? Of the abilities? Of the infinite serum?" She asks, biting her bottom lip.

"Yes." I say, looking sad for her. "I'm sorry."

"No, Aria, thank you. You're saving my life."

"You know my name?" I must look awfully surprise because she gives me a small laugh.

"Yeah, you're the Infinite. Well, at least that's what I was supposed to believe. What they wanted."

I was supposed to be Infinite.

"Well, I bet they're glad I'm not," I choke out. Why was I supposed to win?

"Can I help?" Paige asks. "I want to get them out. Plus we can do it faster with both of us."

"Okay," I nod. "I'll show you how. Do you remember all of what I told you? They're going to be confused too and they're gonna need you to tell them what's going on."

"I remember." She nods.

"Okay. Let's help..." My eyes scan the next case. "Keri."

* * * * * * * * * *

"Aria!" Jen comes into the room running and screaming my name.

"Shh!" I scold. "What're you trying to do? Get everyone on Earth to know I'm in here?"

"I'm... Sorry." She wheezes.

"Is everyone okay?" I throw my head up to look at her, realizing that there isn't many reasons why she would run in here like that.

"Alive for now," she says after pausing, choosing her words carefully.

"What do you mean, for now?" I whisper yell at her, walking closer so the conversation doesn't alarm Paige and the others we've managed to get free.

"It's getting worse, but the fighting is moving more towards the hill and farther away from this building. Nate and Anna—" She doesn't get to finish her sentence before I frantically cut her off.

"Nate and Anna what?!"

"They're fine! They went to get the Infinite serum and see if they can recreate it for us all."

I don't know if I should call them idiots or geniuses right now.   

**************

"Guys I made it." ~Luke Hemmings when talking about getting his pants on in time to make it for breakfast. 

I MADE IT TOO! I MANAGED TO WRITE ANOTHER CHAPTER WITHOUT CRYING FROM MY MASSIVE WRITERS BLOCK, BE PROUD OF ME!! XD 

Anyway... You only have tonight to enter the contest! TjaneBooks and I are very excited to pick the winners :P 

~A