∞CHAPTER THREE∞

"Quiet please!" The woman says into the microphone.

It becomes silent almost immediately as all eyes become fixated on the woman. She's short with long blond hair, red glasses, and she looks to be in her early thirties. She has an excited expression on her face and she seems to be searching the crowd for someone, probably a son or daughter.

"I bet you are all very excited aren't you?"

A loud cheer echoes through the room.

With a smile she continues, "This year is a special year! Not only is it the next fiftieth year in line but it is the one thousandth year in total! To celebrate that, we will be adding something very special, something our scientists have been working on for quite some time!"

Everyone starts murmuring about what this 'special thing' could be, and I find myself pushing forward a bit to get a better view of the stage.

I'm almost ten feet from the stage when a hand stops me, "Where are you going, stranger?" A familiar voice asks.

I turn around quickly and come face to face with my cousin, Jennifer. Her long red hair is In a neat Dutch braid, and her brown eyes are lined with black eyeliner, like mine.

"You're back from Florida!" I exclaim, giving her a hug.

"What? You think I'd miss this for a beach, some palm trees and a big, million year old Disney castle?" She grins as we walk back to our group of friends. I'm reluctant to leave the closeness of the stage, but I do want to see my friends reactions when they see Jen again. We were all so upset when she told us she was going to miss the Choosing.

The woman starts speaking again, "As most of you should know, the people whom are chosen are taken for up to a year of training to be able to properly use the Abilities! Of course, these will not be able to be kept forever, as that is dangerous to society..."

The room bursts into applause.

She continues, "Well I won't bother you will the details! Oh! Except for one special person that is. That one person will be crowned the title of 'Infinite' and will be able to keep their chosen skill forever along with the ability to LIVE forever!"

Excitement fills the eyes of all in attendance at the sound of those words.

Would I really have the skills to become the infinite? Will I be chosen? Thoughts, wonders and 'what if's' fill my head. I divert my attention back to the woman as she finishes the speech, "..and now we can begin choosing!" More cheers erupt, even louder than before.

"As usual we will begin with age twelve and work our way up," she says, opening up the envelope in her hand.

She beings reading off names. I listen intently for Hanna's name, my face falls when she announces that she is moving onto the Thirteens. Hanna runs over to me with tears streaking her face. This was what she had been waiting her whole, short life for.

I hug her tight saying, "Hey it's okay Hanna. Me and you can train for whatever you wanted to learn. We can be just as good as any initiates, even better! We don't need science and technology to make us amazing! Who needs superpowers?"

She smiles up at me and says "I love you Aria. I'll go home and watch the rest on TV okay? I don't want anybody else to see me cry."

I tell her I'll see her soon and that I love her too as she walks toward the exit and out of sight. I listen half heartedly as the woman keeps listing names and waiting for that excited person to run up onstage. I keep thinking about what it would be like to be chosen, when I realize she is already on the fourteen year olds. I look over at Anna's face which is clearly showing her excitement and hope. I wait to hear her name called, but it doesn't happen. She turns away from us and starts to walk towards the door. An organizer stops her on her way out, but I'm not sure why. She walks over through the hallway to another room, where I can see a few more people are. Why aren't they in here to see if they get chosen?