∞CHAPTER TWO∞

Beep! Beep! Beep!

I open my eyes slowly and look at my alarm clock; "six thirty," I mumble. Then I remember, It's choosing day! I jump out of bed, and run downstairs for breakfast yelling, "Wake up Hanna!"

I start setting the table while Mom finishes making bacon and eggs for us. Hanna comes downstairs just as Mom sets the food on the table. I eat my food as quickly as I can and run back upstairs yelling, "Thanks for breakfast Mom!" I hear Hanna running behind me as I open the door to my room.

I pull my long brown hair into a side French braid, and because this is a special event I put on eyeliner and mascara. I'm usually terrible at that, but somehow today I get it right, and manage to make my hazel eyes look brighter. Stressed out enough as is, I don't pick anything overly fancy to wear, but still nice enough that on the rare chance I am chosen, I'll look okay onstage. I doubt I'd have anything fancy to wear anyway. I grew way too much since the last time I went for clothes, I'm probably 5'7" now, so all my dresses are too short.

After entering my blood pressure and other health related things into the 'Citizens Health and Welfare System', an annoying requirement of society, I head downstairs. The first person I see is Hanna.

Hanna looks gorgeous with sky blue eyes perfectly framed by her wavy black hair. Her smile is complimented by two dimples on either cheek, which I find adorable. Her green dress falls just below her knees and flutters as she walks towards me. "You ready?" She asks happily.

"Yeah," I smile. "Let's go."

We walk to the end of the street and wait for Carrie, Anna and Laura, and Laura's little sister, who happens to be Hanna's best friend. After about fifteen minutes, they've all come out of their houses and we walk together towards the town hall. I love looking at the magnificent gardens and sculptures that surround it, but today I don't have time. As we walk through the doors, we are greeted by the sound of people talking and laughing. It feels even more tense and awkward today than it did yesterday, but you can also see lots of excitement in people. I guess it shows who the most competitive people are.

By the front desk, I see a schedule for the day is pinned up on the wall, so I go see what we will be doing, and when. It's a pretty simple schedule. Speeches, Choosing, departure of the Chosen.

The speech starts at eight and the choosing at eight thirty. I look at the time on my phone, seven fifteen. Since there is plenty of time before it starts, I walk over to a Starbucks–the worlds oldest coffee establishment left. Is it really any wonder? Starbucks is amazing– and order a Peppermint Mocha, then walk back over to my friends. Hanna has already gone off with her own group of friends on the other side of the building. I stand in silence for a minute while I finish my drink. It's still very cold out, and every time someone new walks in the door a blast of that cold air comes at me. I'm glad I bought a hot drink instead of a cold one.

I turn to talk to my friends after I've finished my Mocha. Conversation in minimal though because with the excitement of the day, it's hard to concentrate on anything else. I don't mind it, I don't really have that much to talk about either. There are only so many times you can ask people if they're excited, nervous or both before they get annoyed.

I'm startled from my thoughts when woman's voice says over a PA system, "Speeches will begin in ten minutes. Please make your way to auditorium 3. That's the big one if you didn't know. Thank you."

Everyone files into the auditorium, and by the time the last person comes in, the place is completely packed. The noise is almost unbearably loud, but I'm too excited to be upset by it. Honestly, I thought everyone crowding into an even smaller room would scare the crap out of me, but I genuinely am excited to see what happens next.

A woman walks onstage with an unusually fat envelope in hand, making the noise die down a little, though it's still quite loud. Now I find that everyone staring at the stage, including myself.