∞CHAPTER FORTY FOUR∞

Listen to that song up there ^^^ Corresponds to Nate and Aria's last conversation... doesn't it? *evil author grin* 

*******

"Nate," I sob again, sounding eerie and hollow. I tried running to the building, to him, but someone held me back. Now I lie collapsed against their arms, feebly pulling to get free.

"Aria I think we should go now," Carrie speaks for the first time since the explosion.

I change my attention from the torn up, burning building to look at her. "This is your fault," I say slowly as I come to that realization. "It's your fault he went in there..."

"That's kind of ridiculous." She lets out a small laugh. "I didn't make the guy walk in. Can we go? Those people are coming here soon."

"You!" I scream at the top of my lungs that are already sore from yelling Nate's name. Throwing all my weight into it, I launch myself at her. The hands holding my arms at my sides tense up and pull back.

"Calm down," The voice whispers, but I barely process the words.

"Okay Aria, your friend might have died, but maybe he's alive. He's fast isn't he? I'm sure he's fine."

"Then why isn't he here!" Frost begins to cover my entire body, and then my rapid heart rate slows. Breathing heavily I say, "Where is he?"

"I don't know, but we'll never find out if we stay here and die! He'll be fine, he'll find you. Take us all back. NOW!"

"He's dead isn't he?" I whisper. "Go straight that way." I point. "Leave me here... Let me find him..." The world spins around me, a feeling I've experienced before, and then silence.

* * * * * * * * * *

"Oh my gosh! Is she okay? Where is Nate?" The voices make a weird echoing sound, like I'm in a tunnel.

"There was this big explosion of a building, she thinks he was inside? Anyway she fainted," Carrie's voice says, and a sour taste fills my mouth.

"Hey Hope," Jack says, lifting me from the other Chosen's arms. "I know you're waking up."

"Mmphm," a strange noise escapes my lips when I try to talk.

"It's gonna be okay," Jen says. I open my eyes to look at her.

"Let's get her somewhere safer while she wakes up," Anna demands.

"Who was that guy?" Carrie asks, most likely about Jack, as she's left behind.

"Exploding..." I say sadly.

"I know," Bree replies.

They're all here, even Paige. Except Nate... Why are they all here?

Everyone sits beside an old, brittle tree stump. The grass is green all around, the sky is a perfect blue. If you didn't know better, you'd think it was entirely peaceful here.

"Aria you need to go get those files to the world," Shaun breaks the silence.

"N-now? But I need to go back for Nate!"

"We've got him, it's okay." Jason puts a hand on my knee.

"Yeah." Jen nods in agreement. "You have to go. Before it's too late."

"No! I can't go without him. I can't go without you guys. We have to go together." My bottom lip begins to quiver, and I realize how scared I am to be without them all.