Chapter 17

Previously:

"Guys, guys, shhhh." Carl shushes everyone's laughter making the approaching voices much clearer.

"I'm telling you that girl isn't just another student." Is that the teacher from battle training?

"We already knew that Denis." That's sounds like the principal.

"No, I mean she's basically a living, breathing weapon."

"What do you mean?"

"She pretty much flew across the battle mat when she saw her friend get hurt, and she executed every attack flawlessly. When the fight was over she stopped and it was like she was snapping back to reality, it was weird. Weirder than a high school for supernatural teens."

"She sounds like-" The principal gets cut off by a voice that sounds like the teacher from homeroom.

"Like an Ischyros."
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

My eyebrows crease in confusion. What's so special about my last name? The homeroom teacher freaked out when she first heard it, now she's saying it like its a whole other species.

"What do you mean, Maura?" The principal asks as confused as I am.

Maura sighs and I picture her rolling her eyes, "You've never been very interested in history have you?"

He chuckles, "You know me too well."

"Ischyros?" The battle training teacher mutters, "It rings a bell."

"That's probably because you've done your research on supernatural wars."

"What do wars have to do with her?"

"Not specifically her, more her last name. You know the battle of thorns right?"

"Of course I do, it was the longest war between the supernatural purely because it was between the most powerful supernaturals to ever walk this planet. It was called the battle of thorns for two reasons, one reason being one army hid in rose bushes before they ambushed their enemies and the other reason was because the daughters of both armies leaders had the same quote tattooed on their stomachs, 'Even the prettiest roses have thorns.'" The battle training teacher states with a passionate tone, he obviously takes an interest in supernatural wars.

"You are correct, but do you remember who ended the war?"

"If I recall correctly it was a powerful witch, Gemini I think her name was."

"What does any of this have to do with Amarante?" The principal asks.

"I'm getting there." Maura states firmly, "Anyway, yes it was ended by a powerful witch named Gemini along with her two sisters, Capricorn and Scorpio. But it was how they ended it which is important."

"To end the war they took the powers from everyone in both armies so they were reduced to human, which obviously meant they could participate in a supernatural war. The witches didn't know what to do with the abilities they took, after all the abilities were the most powerful in existence so they couldn't just put them in a box. They handed them to their oldest sister, Leo, who separated them and gave them to two supernatural lovers. The lovers were extremely powerful but they were only beginning because they had a son who possessed the most powerful versions of every ability known, he was dangerous and he knew it. He was power-hungry and used his gift for evil, when he eventually had a child of his own, the child again had his fathers power but he used it for good. The genes were passed down for several generations and their family tree got bigger and bigger until Sagittarius, the youngest sister of the witch became jealous of her sisters powerful creation. So she cursed the family and their bloodline which took away their abilities. That's all I can remember, I don't know exactly what the curse was."