Chapter 27

Explanation at the end! New readers can skip the bit below if they like, it's mainly for those who have been waiting a year and need a little refresher.

Summary of the story so far:

Amarante Ischyros was invited to a school for the gifted in a place called North Edge, only to discover that 'gifted' meant people with supernatural abilities. She moved in with a pixie named Honey, who quickly became her best friend, and turned out to be an extremely sweet yet powerful warrior. She also managed to get on the bad side of the school's infamous asshole, Tyson, who thinks her name is Sarah. She then discovered that her cousin, Jackson, was still alive and she quickly became friends with his friends, including Connery and Lucas. Carter, another famously good-looking guy in their school, made a dramatic appearance and quickly grew attached to Amarante, which led to him secretly confessing his feelings for her only for her to be oblivious. She also discovered that she supposedly has the strongest strain of every ability possible, but she's not quite sure about that fact. She recently began getting strange dreams with a voice that constantly asks 'are you the hero or the villian?', and even more recently the voice seemed to refer to her as Virgo. She and Honey then went to shop for dresses for the upcoming ball, but then ended up being kidnapped. They woke up in a place with a man named Volt and his henchmen, who took a small vile of Amy's blood and then left the cell door open accidentally allowing the girls to escape. While running from a monster, Honey and Amy stumbled across the room of a girl named Marcy who seemed cautious and angry. Honey and Marcy fought due to their opposing personalities but it all worked out. This all leads to now...

-----------------------------------

Marcy glances at me and continues, "They needed one last component - the blood of an Ischyros. And now they have finished it, they call it human but its use is far from humane."

"What is it?" I ask again.

"A weapon of mass destruction that may bring an end to the supernatural world and the human world." She whispers.

A few moments of silence followed Marcy's haunting words.

I let out a breath of disbelief, before I began to question the logic of it, "Why? What could they possibly gain from so much devastation?"

Marcy flinched at the thought, "I am not completely aware of their motives, but I have caught the occasional pieces of conversation that hint about their aims. I believe they may be trying to conquer both worlds, to either merge them or have one dominate the other and I fear that it may be the latter. They seem to look down on the humans, and see them as nothing more than animals, and I have even heard them talk about this world domination like it is some sort of duty, as if they are doing the humans a favour." Her voice was raspy as she spoke, and I pitied her situation although I didn't yet fully understand it.

"Who are they?" I asked, "The three we met are all a part of some organisation, right? Three people couldn't control such power, especially those of their intelligence."

Honey snorted despite the situation, "They did leave the cell door open."

"My point exactly." I smirked, holding back a chuckle.

Marcy didn't seem to find the thought as entertaining as we did, "My information on their allies is even more patchy than my information on their motives, but I vaguely remember them calling themselves 'Ophiuchus'."

"Ophiuchus? Like the thirteenth zodiac?" I questioned, remembering the times when I used be obsessed with astronomy, and horoscopes.

Honey narrows her eyes in contemplation, "It makes sense for them to call themselves that. Throughout history, extreme supernatural problems have always been solved with the intervention of one the Zodiac Witches. You probably remember when the teachers were talking about the Battle of Thorns, and they mentioned that it was stopped by Gemini, Capricorn and Scorpio – three of the Zodiac Witches." I nodded, signalling that I remembered, and she continued, "Well, they've done many similar things before, stopping devastating wars is pretty much child's play to them."