Chapter 34

"How do you know that name?" His cheerful voice became a low hiss as his eyes bore into mine.

Those eyes seemed strangely familiar and, by Honey's concentrating face, I could tell she felt the same.

My thoughts, however, did not stop me from flinching at his tone. Luckily Jackson stepped in, seemingly unaffected by the principal's change, "We asked you first, how do you know that name?"

The principal stepped towards Jackson, his expression fierce, "Don't talk back to me boy."

Even Lucas and Connery stepped back a little in fear, but Jackson didn't back down, instead he took a step forward, "Answer the question."

As the two clashed with ferocious intensity, I realised that this ran a lot deeper than a question – it almost looked as if they were trying to assert their dominance however I had no idea where this sudden animosity came from.

'They've been like this from the moment they met, apparently.' A voice chimed in my head causing me to jump and scan the room. My eyes landed on Alex's as she winked at me and I came to the realisation that this must be her ability.

I tried to communicate a thought back but my attempts were futile.

'It's only one way, hence why I don't use it very often, but you looked a little lost so I thought I'd try to clear things up. As far as everyone knows, Jackson holds some form of a grudge against the principal and vice versa, but the details are pretty unclear. They're usually pretty civil with each other, but the tension's pretty high right now.'

I nodded so that she could see I understood, although there wasn't much to really understand – I'll have to ask Jackson about it later.

Upon seeing that this was getting nowhere, Carter stepped between the two, "Since apparently I'm the most mature one here," I snorted quietly at that, "I'm just gonna step in and answer for Jackson – We've just come back from a showdown with Ophiuchus."

The principal blinked in shock and took a couple steps backs, "Y-You what?"

"Real shocker I know," Carter returned to my side after Jackson also backed down, "Now answer our question, please?"

I saw the principal's expression change multiple times as he contemplated his answer, but when he finally replied, it was with another question, "You went against Ophiuchus?"

We all released a collective sigh and nodded, realising he wasn't going to answer us until we answered him.

"Is anyone injured? What happened?" He began to grow increasingly worried as his eyes scanned over our group.

"We're all fine, although it might have been a different story if we didn't receive backup in time." I smiled at everyone in thanks once again.

"And even that would have gone horribly wrong if we didn't have the element of surprise on our side." Connery added.

"Wh-Who did you fight?" Although he looked a little relieved that we were all okay, his concern didn't vanish.

I narrowed my eyes in suspicion as I answered, "I fought a man named Volt – one of the leaders; Marcy went up against a lead researcher named Aspect; and Honey fought one of the other leaders who goes by Silver."

At the mention of Silver, his eyes grew wide and Honey, Marcy and I gasped in realisation.

"I knew your eyes looked familiar!" Marcy exclaimed, covering her mouth in shock.

"Those are the same eyes that analysed my every move when I fought against their owner." Honey stated, her voice losing its natural sweetness in place of something dangerous.